Unfair treatment from eBay with regards to account

Hi all,

I started a seller account with eBay a while back. After about 2 months, I requested for an increase in the selling limits (am on 50). eBay told me they couldn't do this because 'I was not in charge of my inventory'. Basically they said I was dropshipping. This came as a HUGE surprise to me because I had never drop shipped at all. I had/have all my items on me. I even have the receipts and all for all my items. But eBay kept insisting I was dropshipping. I asked them why they kept accusing me of that, and I offered to provide them photo eveidence of ALL my inventory including receipts. They didn't want to know. All they kept saying was that I was dropshipping. Later when fulfilling an order, I realised that I had not updated one of my addresses. I had shifted houses, and I forgot to update that address on ebay. So I thought perhaps that was the problem. I rectified it, then I called/chatted with them about what I thought the problem was. They said they were going to fix the issue and said I should wait for about a month to have the system clear out. I waited. A few months later, I ask them to increase the selling limits since what I thought was the problem had been rectified. But I was surprised to get the same response of dropshipping. They said, they had escalated the issue, but I never got any positive response. It is 4 months now and my inventory is rotting in my house. I have contacted ebay endless times, and they never help. They cannot tell me why they say I'm dropshipping because 'they can not reveal how their system works'. I am really frustrated as my store stopped ranking, I no longer make sales, and I can't increase my inventory. I am thinking of shifting to another marketplace for my products and where they have better customer care and they listen to their sellers better. I am wondering if anyone has ever faced this issue, and if so, what did you do. I decided to reach out to the community before closing my ebay account for another marketplace. I can't keep paying monthly fees for a store, put in so much time and money in my listings, and only end up with unfair treatment from ebay. If anyone has been in a similar situation, please help. Regards,

Arthur M

Message 1 of 65
Latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: Unfair treatment from eBay with regards to account

I haven't been up to date on how much you need to sell to be better off with a store due to the reduced fees but would think a high volume seller would be. 

Message 51 of 65
Latest reply

I had a chat with eBay customer care. And it seems to me that no matter what I do, they'll never lift my selling limits. They just keep reading from the same script. Interestingly they never mention cover art work as an indicator of dropshipping. They mention (in a general and not specific sense) things like shipping address, home address, timely delivery etc. All of which I have done correctly for past 3 months. I realized that nothing will change from their side. Coz to them it's more than the cover art work (yet they never give a specific cause of problem). It's why I think it's better to forget about that account as ebay is unlikely to change anything. It's a case of doing the same thing again and again while expecting different results.

Message 52 of 65
Latest reply

Why do you think by opening another account you will not come up against the same. ??

Message 53 of 65
Latest reply

Quite honestly - this lot would turn me right off.

Screenshot_20231115-145800_Chrome.jpg

Message 54 of 65
Latest reply

If I do everything as has been advised here, including all the recommendations given and still face the same issue, then I think the only option I'd be left with would be to go to a different marketplace place and quit ebay altogether.   

Message 55 of 65
Latest reply

Do people even go as far as reading those policies? I'll delete them anyway. 

Message 56 of 65
Latest reply

@ruthra101 wrote:

Do people even go as far as reading those policies? I'll delete them anyway. 

I did. lol

Message 57 of 65
Latest reply

Why not begin at the beginning - list with integrity - use your own photos of that which is for sale - add your descriptions clearly so it is understood exactly what is being purchased - cut the carp.

Re-vamp your existing  - though ' ozy ' anything is a turn off - account - it already has feedback - or begin again -up to you.

If and when you see the benefit of paying for a store - open one - but never before.

You can't offer ' warranties ' - that's just garbage.

Most of us here ' helping ' have been around for years - selling for years - learnt the ropes the hard way - but still find this a viable platform.

It's entirely up to you to become a trusted seller.

Message 58 of 65
Latest reply

@ruthra101 wrote:

I had a chat with eBay customer care. […] They just keep reading from the same script. […] They mention (in a general and not specific sense) things like shipping address, home address, timely delivery etc. […]

To me, that’s screaming “tracking”. Enough items may need proof of delivery that shows the item/s were sent by you from your address.

eBay won’t tell you exactly what is causing their algorithm to identify you as dropshipping. (If it became known what triggers this, those who are dropshipping might learn of it and adjust their behaviours in attempts to fool eBay.)

Message 59 of 65
Latest reply

Countess - he/she has sold 9.

Message 60 of 65
Latest reply