2 different stores , charging 2 separate postage fees then sends them in a combined parcel

I bought 2 items from 2 stores which had seperate postage fees.

Parcel arrives with both items in that one parcel , therefore the postage was combined  and cheaper than what we paid for the 2 postage fees

We were not offered the combined postage , we did not know they had multiple stores . Even if the store does not offer combined postage ( which he has said ) , if we had known they were essentially the same store we could have changed our options on what we wanted to do? 

Message 1 of 48
Latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: 2 different stores , charging 2 separate postage fees then sends them in a combined parcel

Hello, everyone. This discussion is getting a little heated. Could we please communicate with a more civil tone. Thanks!

Message 31 of 48
Latest reply

Re: 2 different stores , charging 2 separate postage fees then sends them in a combined parcel

Here we go again,when will people realise that combined postage is not the same as discounted postage? once you know the difference between these two then you will think next time before you purchase.And I would rather see sellers state in their listings the words discounted postage as this refers to a cheaper postage rather than combined postage as this mainly refers to posting items together in same packaging.

Message 32 of 48
Latest reply

word it whatever way you want.

I was never given the opportunity to ask for a price on combined postage . Discounted or not . 

Message 33 of 48
Latest reply

Well if you weren't given the opportunity then that means that the seller wasn't providing one.Sellers don't need to give combined or discounted postage and just because you ask for one doesn't mean you will get it.So if you're not happy with a sellers listing and rules then don't bid/buy it's as simple as that,there's no point crying over spilt milk after the fact.

Message 34 of 48
Latest reply

How is it possible to know if they are providing one if the items were bought from 2 different stores

And it only became known when the items arrived in one parcel , even though to my knowledge I bought them from 2 different stores

I understand they dont need to give me anything , other than an oppotunity to ask . Which I would have done if I knew it was the same seller.

There is no way I would have paid the postage I did if it was from the one shop. As I have explained before.

I have been decieved , its pretty simple really 

Message 35 of 48
Latest reply

@zelly888 wrote:

Well if you weren't given the opportunity then that means that the seller wasn't providing one.Sellers don't need to give combined or discounted postage and just because you ask for one doesn't mean you will get it.So if you're not happy with a sellers listing and rules then don't bid/buy it's as simple as that,there's no point crying over spilt milk after the fact.

The OP purchased  items from two different selling IDs.

The seller ripped this buyer off good and proper IMO, and practices like this should not be condoned as it only serves to damage buyer confidence IMO.

Message 36 of 48
Latest reply

It seems perhaps the Seller was trying to maximise the result of the auction of these items by posting together and pocketing some extra cash through the postage paid. Not acceptable in my humble opinion.

For a few bucks the Seller has an unhappy Buyer & negs, doent seem worth it to me.

Would it have been that difficult for the Seller to contact the Buyer and offer a small refund in order to combine postage? Really?

Common sense & some basic business etiquette seem to have escaped this Seller. IMO.  

Message 37 of 48
Latest reply

So your saying its perfectly fine to charge for two lots of packaging materials and postage but only use one and pocket the rest of the money? If they post together in the same packaging then yeah it should be cheaper the posting the two items separately. When I asked for combine postage costs I always assumed that the items would go together.

Message 38 of 48
Latest reply

That's right when you ask for combined postage that's what it means packaged together into one,it doesn't mean you pay a cheaper postage cost.But discounted postage means you will pay a cheaper postage cost,this is why I have said that the wording should be changed from combined to discounted postage in all listings so as not to confuse a buyer into thinking that it will be cheaper for combined postage when this means posted in one package as OP found out after the fact.I agree that the seller is in the wrong in this situation in the way they went about it,but there is no law against a seller having multiple selling IDs and sending a single package.Buyers need to ask sellers that have combined postage in their listings will this mean a discount on postal cost for combined postage before they buy the item/s because as I said not all sellers give discounts on combined postage.

Message 39 of 48
Latest reply

@zelly888 wrote:

That's right when you ask for combined postage that's what it means packaged together into one,it doesn't mean you pay a cheaper postage cost.But discounted postage means you will pay a cheaper postage cost,this is why I have said that the wording should be changed from combined to discounted postage in all listings so as not to confuse a buyer into thinking that it will be cheaper for combined postage when this means posted in one package as OP found out after the fact.I agree that the seller is in the wrong in this situation in the way they went about it,but there is no law against a seller having multiple selling IDs and sending a single package.Buyers need to ask sellers that have combined postage in their listings will this mean a discount on postal cost for combined postage before they buy the item/s because as I said not all sellers give discounts on combined postage.

There is a policy about excessive post costs on eBay - this seller charged MORE than double the actual cost to post one parcel.

Message 40 of 48
Latest reply