3 sellers have pointlessly requested photos from me when I've had a grievance.

(3 out of 3, perfect score and yes 3 different sellers)

i think this is an annoyance  tactic used by big sellers to avoid their responsibility because the would know that a certain percentage of customers would give up their case at this point!

Is Ebay aware of this?

Any comments?

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

I have one comment and that is please explain?

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

I assume you have had 3 items arrive damaged and sellers are asking for pics which is perfectly normal in such a case.

image host
Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

I am not sure what you mean by pointless?

If any seller gets a message from a buyer,saying,for example(not saying this is with you,merely giving one example), an item arrived in a different condition to which it was sent, the seller has every right to ask for photos showing said damage

Ebay are aware abd it is also part of ebay policy

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

@okaynetsell wrote:

(3 out of 3, perfect score and yes 3 different sellers)

i think this is an annoyance  tactic used by big sellers to avoid their responsibility because the would know that a certain percentage of customers would give up their case at this point!

Is Ebay aware of this?

Any comments?

I have several...

Some you may find applicable to your circumstances, some may not be, but I am inclined to be thorough here as I only have general info from your post to go on.

The first thing I would ask is, are you considering the seller's perspective in these cases, or just your own?

The reason I ask that is because here are some reasons why sellers will request photos of products if the buyer sends a message to say it's faulty, or damaged.

Sellers have a right of inspection of goods when there is a fault or damage.

For example, I make a lot of the products I sell. if someone contacts me and says it's damaged, I would like to know how and where (this will help me determine whether it's a design flaw, or a component flaw), and whether or not it's even worth paying to have the item sent back - if I can see the item in a photo, I can decide whether I want it back, or whether I'll just send out a replacement (or refund).

Some sellers have suppliers who require photographic evidence of product faults, and can reimburse or credit them based on those images, so again sometimes it's easier - for everyone concerned - to resolve the issue based on photos alone, and no one has to mess round with returning a faulty item. 

Let's not make this about a buyer's personal feelings or reactions to a request for photos as though it's questioning their honesty and / or integrity, because being able to verify the fault puts the seller in a much better position to provide the fastet most appropriate solution for the buyer.

If I can not see photos, then I will require the item to be returned before I will action any remedy for the buyer, so that the item can be inspected and the cause of the fault is determined - this is essential if just to ensure the same issue doesn't continue to occur, as I will usually have multiple quantities of the same items available, which means for me as the seller, it's not just about an indivual transaction, but potentially hundreds. The faster I can see the problem, the faster I can take preventative measures if I need to. 

By the way, very few of my buyers have ever refused to provide photos when requested, though when I ask for them, I also advise that if images aren't possible, I'll need the item to be returned, with return postage reimbursed. Funnily enough, those that refuse to send through photos, also refuse to return the product at my expense. I always wondered why that is? Very strange. 

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

Maybe they want photos for an item not received? A picture of your table maybe with no item on it?
Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

giggle.gif

image host
Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:
Maybe they want photos for an item not received? A picture of your table maybe with no item on it?

I actually know a couple of people who were requested to provide proof of INR  😮  (not via eBay, though).

I never have been, but I could have some fun with a request like that.  Smiley LOL (I'll send them a 10 hour video of me just wandering aimlessly through my house, looking for whatever widget they sent. Then a 15 hour sequel (Parcel Search 2 - Beyond the Mailbox) of me going up to the post office and arguing with staff.  

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

That's why I mentioned it digi as I've heard it before too.
Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

It's pretty easy to take a photo and attach it to a message, so what is the big deal about doing it? Ebay isn't the only site that requires it.

Of course there are some faults that can't be photographed but in those cases (not that there have been many for me & they were on another site, not ebay) I have returned the item for a full refund. The company sent a return postage label.

In fact if you have a grievance, I can't understand why you don't take a photo to illustrate it where possible when you first write to the sellers. That is what I have done in the past.

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply