3 sellers have pointlessly requested photos from me when I've had a grievance.

(3 out of 3, perfect score and yes 3 different sellers)

i think this is an annoyance  tactic used by big sellers to avoid their responsibility because the would know that a certain percentage of customers would give up their case at this point!

Is Ebay aware of this?

Any comments?

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

No, sorry, there would be a point to photos of damaged goods.

Message 31 of 37
Latest reply

@okaynetsell wrote:

Yes, an electrical motor not working would be hard to photograh

So would    heat shrink with glue that has no glue

So would a memory card that keeps falling out of a camera

So would the missing clamp on a fan.....

lke i said, in my case, 3 out of 3!

Heat shrink shouldn't HAVE glue. It obviates the purpose of the product.

The problem would be more likely due to the camera, assuming the memory card is standard.

A missing clamp would be easy to prove photographically

3 out of 3, indeed. But I doubt in the way you think.

Message 32 of 37
Latest reply

Maybe if you want an intelligent discussion you might try posting exactly why there is no point in sending a photo to the seller.

The responders here are pretty good at reading between the lines but we are not mindreaders and our crystal balls are a bit cloudy.

IMO you deserved all the answers you received.

Message 33 of 37
Latest reply

@okaynetsell wrote:

Please study the question and yes, you don't understand.

You're just peeved because I said you were vague.

Let's look at your question.

3 out of 3, perfect score and yes 3 different sellers)

i think this is an annoyance  tactic used by big sellers to avoid their responsibility because the would know that a certain percentage of customers would give up their case at this point!

Is Ebay aware of this?

Any comments

-------------------------

The answer to your only question is yes, ebay would be well aware of it, they encourage communication between seller/buyer when there is a problem. Just about all other online sales sites also ask for photos in most cases.

What I did say to you was you asked us for comments without clarifying what sort of problems you were talking about on what sort of items. That's what I meant by being a bit vague.

You called it an annoyance tactic by sellers  and implied it was used knowing it may put buyers off, cause them to give up.

What you needed to do in your opening post was outline that you meant sellers were asking for photos of faults that could not possibly be shown in a photo. You may think the word pointless covers it, but it doesn't necessarily. We were asking for your definition of pointless.

Message 34 of 37
Latest reply

@okaynetsell wrote:

Yes, an electrical motor not working would be hard to photograh

So would    heat shrink with glue that has no glue

So would a memory card that keeps falling out of a camera

So would the missing clamp on a fan.....

lke i said, in my case, 3 out of 3!

These are the examples you should have given in your opening post.

Message 35 of 37
Latest reply

@okaynetsell wrote:

Of course if the photo could help in ANY WAY i would make sur my photo explicitly showed the problem.

if the photo can not in any possible way show the problem then either ther buyer has a language problem or

as i suspect it is a routine to avoid fixing a certain percentage of problems due to a certain percaentage of the buyers "Giving Up"

As i pointed out this is 3 out of three in my case, i am suspicious and want others experiences aired not just comments from people who want t say something even though they don't get it!

It would have been easy to get if the information was available to read in the original post. It wasn't. 

If photos won't help explain the issue you have with an item, then all it takes is saying that and explaining to the seller you will have to send the item back so they can see for themselves.

If someone gives up just because a seller doesn't understand the issue or simply asks for photos, that's a choice the buyer is making - it's not like the seller is deliberately misleading or stalling people for nefarious purposes (for all we know there is something the seller can detect visually, if they know their products well enough, I mean I can spot the difference between something that's 4.5mm diameter and 5mm diameter (and have done so in the past, enabling me to rectify the problem immediately for someone), and there are far more effective ways to stall people than to ask for photos (unfortunately). 

Message 36 of 37
Latest reply

All sellers these days request photos. I had that with a smart watch that turned up DOA. I sent back a message saying how am I to take a photo of a watch that does not turn on. I have offered to post the smart watch back for another one but he is just going to send me another one and once I receive it I will pay the shipping for it seeming i did not have to pay to return the broken one.

I do understand where sellers are coming from though. If they can see the item is broken or not working, rather than get you to return the item they will just send you another one. I would prefer to do that, send a photo and if the seller is happy, they just send you another one rather than you having to post it back and then wait for them to get it and then resend you another one. Saves you having to pay return postage costs.

I wish Ebay would fix it so that you can send videos of things that are not working rather than just photos though

Message 37 of 37
Latest reply