$399 earrings listed as geniune 9ct gold/diamond are fake - what to do?

Last year I purchased a pair of earrings for $399.  They were (and still are) listed as genuine 9ct gold and real diamonds.  Since purchase I have had them in a box as I actually forgot that I had purchased them until a few days ago when I found them again.  I took them out to wear and noticed that they had tarnished - which is very unusual for 9ct gold.  Then I put them under a torch and saw that there was an area on the back of one earring that had no gold at all - which indicates to me that they are plated.   Under the torch light they are also very brownish in colour and the diamond looks fake.  I contacted the seller and there has been no response but the seller is still selling the same item as genuine gold/diamond.   They are unwearable because they look like a really cheap pair of earrings that you buy at one of those shopping centre stores.  Can I do anything given the time that has passed since purchase especially since the seller is falsely advertising these as genuine gold/diamond - which they are not.  And I paid $399 for them!

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Did you purchase them less than 6 months ago in 2022 and did you use PayPal to pay? If this is the case, you could still open a case for INAD in PayPal.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Going by feedback given and received you have not made a purchase for over 6 months.  Not sure what you want anyone to do now.  If you paid by credit card you may be able to do a chargeback but doubt it after this time.

I find it hard to believe that someone doesn't notice a problem before this.  If I spent that much money I would be right onto it.

Good luck

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Ow… I’m sorry that you’ve made the discovery so late in the day.

I don’t believe more than part of what is claimed by eBay sellers listing jewellery unless they’re a reputable jeweller, either Australian (and thus subject to Australian Consumer Law) or an internal jeweller’s with a significant global presence.

I would always get any jewellery other than costume jewellery looked at by a local jeweller.  (Local jeweller for example practically slavered over a pearl I was wearing last time…)

I am afraid you’re probably out of any recourse now… but I hope you can approach future purchases with a hypercritical eye and act instantly if the quality is not what was stated.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Really - when all is said & done - one would be lucky to get a pair of solid 9ct gold earrings for this price - let alone with - diamonds. 

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

clearly you didn't read my post properly

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Not helpful so why comment? 

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

You asked the question of other members

Your not liking the answers is your not liking the answers

Why comment?

You asked other members to comment 

No, you can't do anything through eBay

or PayPal if it was longer than 6 months ago

one month is the limit for eBay, 6 months with PayPal

Buy something that is never going to be 'real gold and diamonds' for under $400 and throwing them aside for months/ forgetting you bought them is the issue

You could have done something, had you bothered to do it within the time limit

Have you reported the current listing to eBay with your proof they are fake?

Thought not

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@licorice.allsorts wrote:

Not helpful so why comment? 

I do think people are trying, in their own way, to be helpful or at least give some guidance.

The situation seems to be that you are unlikely to be able to make any claim on ebay, or paypal either, if the purchase was more than 6 months ago.

You could report the ads to ebay but I think you would need some evidence (certificate from a jeweller or whatever) that what you bought was not genuine 9ct gold.

I suspect you have lost your $399, unless you can polish up the earrings so that they are presentable enough to wear.

It is a lot of money to lose like that and I can understand how disappointed/angry you must feel. I'd be the same. The lesson really though is that when you are spending a fair chunk of money (and $399 is a decent amount), then you need to be able to trust the vendor. Not all of us are experts in jewellery or other collectables. I know I'm not. Ebay, sad to say, is just not the place for more expensive purchases. Not unless it is from a recognised, reputable business. You'd probably be better off heading to a proper jeweller's. You're not going to pick up genuine items well below retail price, just because it is ebay. Probably the opposite. Unfortunately, there are a lot of fake products sold on ebay and not all of them are cheap either.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Hi Everyone,

Things are getting a bit heated here so  please remember to keep the comments civil, and abide by the community guidelines when posting.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply