Argyle Pink Diamond eBay Vendors from Thailand

There are several businesses located in Thailand operating on eBay that have multiple stores but are one and the same company. 

Quite often these vendors will offer to supply  certificates (at a cost) from a variety of diamond certifiers such as GIA, IGA, GIL , etc. The one I was corresponding with informed me that a GIA certificate could be supplied at a price in the hundreds of dollars but GIL Thailand at a fraction of the cost. 

Here's a real life quick summary:

eBay vendor from Thailand is offering a 0.20 carat, "VS" (VS1 or VS2?) ARGYLE pink natural diamond HTHP (high temperature high pressure - check the Internet to understand the process) "mined from the earth." You may pay extra for a certificate if you wish. 

If they're offering a diamond specifically described as above surely they HAVE THE PROOF that it is exactly as described? Surely that proof is a genuine certificate already in their possession? Otherwise, how could they so accurately describe it? Why should you need to purchase a certificate? They should be supplying a certificate to confirm that they've honestly and accurately described the item they're selling to you. 

Bottom line: Buyer beware. If a vendor doesn't thoroughly answer all your questions, be suspicious. If a vendor inadequately answers your questions, be very suspicious. If a vendor doesn't respond in a timely manner, beware of them.  And if a vendor doesn't pass what I call the "logical sniff test," I'd recommend that you avoid them like the plague. 

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I would avoid any dodgy seller

I would check feedback before I bought

I would use the tools eBay give to all buyers if what they purchase from any seller does not match the description for what they bought

Sadly, many buyers are happy to buy from dodgy sellers or just simply do not care enough about who they are buying from to look

It is all basic common sense yet the majority of the forum is filled with posts about 'I bought from a dodgy seller and now I have an issue'

I doubt buyers who can't be bothered checking basics is going to be bothered coming to the forum before buying either 

I mean the last seller you yourself bought from who has left you feedback has awful feedback

98.9% for a high volume seller, 33 negs with the past month alone, no way I would be supporting a seller like that

A few others would also have me hitting the back button stat

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Thank you for your reply, Sandy. 🙂

What you're saying is all very true, but my post is dealing with what is considered a more emotional purchase than most, i.e. diamonds. Certain people are more likely to act on impulse if they think they're getting an absolute bargain. These are the people I'm trying to reach. It's aimed particularly at overseas diamond dealers whom are purportedly selling Argyle pink diamonds at what seem like bargain basement prices.

Obviously I take feedback into consideration when making purchases. I take particular note of the nature of the complaints. I'm confident that if the $12.00 product doesn't arrive or doesn't work or is damaged in transit eBay will refund me with the speed of summer lighting. 

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

OP, you may want to factor in another consideration. Buyers who have a high number of claims under the MBG may find themselves deemed too risky a buyer at some point. If that threshold is reached, eBay will exclude that buyer from being covered by the MBG in further purchases.

You’re right to be wary if a seller isn’t giving you the important information, and that there’s an emotional aspect to the process of snapping up an amazing bargain. That’s one of the reasons why such obvious scams succeed - unrealistic expectations when all the signs are saying “IITGTBT…”

But a bit of feedback scrutiny should help people to avoid a good majority of the worst offenders.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

Red Flags here - Pink Diamonds from Thailand. 

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

No, it's not a "red flag" at all. Thailand is an international hub for colored gemstones, which obviously include the famous Argyle pink diamonds sourced from the mine in the East Kimberley, far north Western Australia. You can go to "Google" and read the many articles explaining how and why Thailand has ascended to become a major cog in the international gemstones market. 

Perhaps the real red flag is the fact that dodgy dealers are somehow allowed to proliferate on eBay? 

There are doubtless many reputable Thai diamond dealers. My post was about helping people identify the dodgy dealers who seem to have found a home selling on eBay. 

So, I'm sorry, but I'm unable to mark your post as "helpful." I'll leave that to the members of the club here who are obviously cross marking each other's posts. 

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

"OP, you may want to factor in another consideration. Buyers who have a high number of claims under the MBG may find themselves deemed too risky a buyer at some point. If that threshold is reached, eBay will exclude that buyer from being covered by the MBG in further purchases."

Oh really? This reminds me of the posts I've read on MarketWatch where someone is complaining that Menulog has delivered their food 1.5 hours late, it's stone cold/ruined, but then they're informed that they've made too many complaints so their claim for a refund is denied. Is it their fault that Menulog is constantly and repeatedly stuffing up their food deliveries? 

eBay should be assessing each claim independently. If a buyer is genuinely (and the operative word here is genuinely ) experiencing problems with faulty products, products arriving in a damaged state, products not arriving, products not accurately described, etc., there shouldn't be any restrictions. What makes them a "risky buyer" in the above scenario? It'd  be more a case of a genuine buyer buying on a risky platform

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

You seem to be under the impression that members actually look at the boards, except when they have an issue. So your warning is preaching to the converted. The people you are trying to warn only see the bargain. And don't, generally visit the boards.

The people who respond here have a vast amount of knowledge on how eBay works.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

Oh really? Can you give me  the precise figures insofar all members of eBay whom visit the boards, the breakdown of the circumstances in which a post will be viewed. For example, what is the exact percentage of people who will go to the boards because they have a problem, BUT then happen to see and read another post on an unrelated matter? (I've done that many times.) There are so many nuances in which I'd like to question an eBay sage, like yourself. Precise figures only, please. No anecdotal nonsense, thank you. 

I've been on eBay since 2006. I know what's going on here, pal. So far I'm unimpressed by these so-called "knowledgeable" people who are dishing out advice such as check the feedback. DUH? Er... doesn't that go without saying? I even had one who checked my profile and stated that she wouldn't support a vendor with a rating just below 100%. Well, bully for her. I happen to have a different view regarding the methods to be used before making a purchase. And these methods have served me well. 

Looking forward to seeing the breakdown of those figures. 😀

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

Hello, everyone.

This thread is getting a little off-topic, and hostile.

Could we please bring the discussion back to the topic, and remember to treat each other with respect, even if you disagree with their opinion.

Remember to post to the guidelines.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply