Auspost tracking shows delivered but no item reveived

Bought a Macbook from a seller, sent with Express post, and tracking number shows delivered on last Thursday, however I didn't receive anything.

Contacted seller, seller asked me to contact Auspost, saying that he/she has written the correct address on the parcel. 

Contacted Auspost by email and phone, email said the parcel was not addressed to me (but shows delivered in the same suburb) and phoned them for more information, and provided the tracking number and my address on the phone, and they advised me that they can see the address on the parcel, and that it does not match my address on eBay and paypal. 

I purchase things on eBay pretty often so it can't be incorrect address on eBay/paypal. 

Also asked Auspost if they can provide me with the delivery address but they said no due to privacy issues.

Where was the problem? And will I get a refund?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

What was the seller's feedback?

Luckily it has never happened to me, but I have heard this is some sort of scam that happened to some people - scammers send the item to some friend or "accomplice" who lives near the buyer so the item shows as delivered to the correct suburb.

But if Australia Post sees the address on the parcel, you should be safe and can open a dispute, including the info provided by Australia Post.

Of course you never know. It is also possible that the seller just made a mistake, but the scam exists. Have you told the seller what AusPost said?

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

The seller's feedback is all positive (42 in past 12 months). But I've heard cases of where eBay accepts proof of delivery when it shows the item is delivered to the same suburb. I've told the seller what Auspost said, but the seller insists that the address on the parcel was correct. 

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

If you used PayPal, you also have the option of opening a dispute in PayPal.

It is also possible that somebody else who lives in the same suburb also bought from the same seller and the seller made a mistake with the tracking numbers. This happened to me once. Actually they gave me the tracking number of somebody who didn't even live in my suburb and I was very worried when my item seemed to have been delivered in another state, but then my item turned up with a different tracking number.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

By the way, when you say 42 positive fb, is it as a seller? Because the general fb actually includes fb as a seller and as a buyer, but you can see the separate fb as a buyer and as a seller in the details below the general fb.

Concerning "delivered", eBay and PayPal usually do accept it as a proof because anybody could just say the item has not been delivered or it has been stolen, BUT if AusPost actually sees that it was not addressed to you, then it is a different scenario.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply