Aust Post Box Girth Help??

glo_pro
Community Member

Hi,

I have received a 2nd faulty item from a USA seller. AU$400.OEM Radiator Fan

First item was DOA. Ebay refunded the purchase as the seller could not provide return shipping.

I place another order with the same seller and wait a month for shipping.

2nd Unit is also DOA.  Mechanic verified this and fault was different to the first one sent.

Ebay has asked that the 2nd item be sent back to the USA and have asked me for a quote.

Box Dimensions:  74cm x 60cm x 15cm  weight 7kg

Im having real trouble getting a quote from austpost.com.au

Rules there say: on Page 6

https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/auspost_corp/media/documents/international-post-service-guide-aug...

Boxes: If the parcel is box-shaped, then its length (its longest dimension) must not exceed 105 cm. The girth is achieved by measuring around all the other dimensions and must not exceed 140 cm.

Eg. a parcel measuring 50 cm long,30 cm high and 40 cm wide

(0.3 m) + (0.3 m) + (0.4 m) + (0.4 m) = girth 140 cm (1.4 m).

If I apply this to my box, the calculations based on the above example would be 0.6+.06+0.15+.015 = girth 150cm (1.5m) which exceeds their 140cm limit.

Am I reading this correctly?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You may have to use a courier company.....try DHL or FedEx.  I would say they are the most cost effective.

Don't look at UPS as they are very expensive.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Box Dimensions:  74cm x 60cm x 15cm  weight 7kg

Max. dimension: 140cm girth

To work out the girth of your parcel, use the formula:
(Width + Height) x 2 = girth
For example:
(30cm + 20cm) x 2 = 100cm girth

74 + 60 = 134 x 2 = 268.

Different calculation but same answer - too big for Aust Post.    Definitely need another service.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Girth does not apply to overseas parcels. I've sent stuff longer than 105cm too.
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:
Girth does not apply to overseas parcels. I've sent stuff longer than 105cm too.

Why is the restriction  quoted on the Aust Post site then?

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

It's a standard discretionary thing.

They also say 22kg is the maximum. Yet I've posted several parcels that have been over 30kg and they have been accepted (they just put a heavy label on them).

Cubic size is not taken into account with overseas parcels. So they never measure the overseas parcels. Yours would only be very marginally over the quoted maximum girth and in all the time I've been doing eBay and other online sales I've never had anything refused over girth. In fact half the domestic parcels I send don't get measured either. Plenty of times I've been charged $60 instead of $130 to post a bulky parcel. I suppose staff really don't get pushed on that issue. No surprise they're losing money.
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Take it in and post as normal. Chances are they won't even give it a second thought.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

The parcel service is not losing money....they are making fantastic profits.

It is the letter service that is losing money and that is unlikely to ever change unless they hike the prices to an unaffordable level.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply