Australia Post now only delivering 3 days a week?

A Seller sent me this:

"*PLEASE NOTE: Australia Post have reduced the frequency the postman deliveries from 5 days to 3 days a week. Your item can take up to 6 days or more to arrive depending on which state you live in. My apology for any delay this has caused.*"

This is the first I have heard of this. I know there was some talk about it, but I can find nothing official on it Online from AP and no one I know has heard of it happening either. 

Can anyone confirm this? 

Cheers.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Its a furphy - note the spelling mistake

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Originally they say they surveyed customers on if they would prefer a price rise or 3 day per week delivery. 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Wasn't it something like "priority" would be 5 days a week and ordiary mail 3 days a week ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Delivery can be delayed depending on how much mail is waiting for delivery on a particular day.

A few years ago we got mail every week day without fail then suddenly the Postie stopped delivering on Friday.

When AP introduced the Priority sticker the mail became slower whether there was a sticker or not.

We used to get a number of subscription magazines which regularly arrived on a certain day......now mail that arrived on Monday is just as likely to arrive or Tuesday or Wednesday and the Tuesday delivery can be anywhere from Tuesday to Friday.

When I asked my Postie what was going on he told me that now that AP insists on them delivering small parcels they cannot carry as much mail as they used to so it is small parcels first followed by Priority sticker mail then non stickered mail and finally magazines.

I do know we often get mail on only 2 or 3 days a week now.....very annoying when you are waiting on something that you know should have arrived days ago.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Three day per week mail services are not uncommon in regional Oz.  The seller is more than likely referring to his own delivery/pickup route, rather than the buyers.   In regional/rural/remote areas, it is quite common for occupants to have pickup arrangements with AP Contractors, so a reduction in delivery days also affects pick ups and hence delivery times.

Personally I have several options available and try to utilize the fastest route possible but sometimes delays are just part of life.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I don't think it is true yet everywhere in Australia although i do remember reading it was an idea they were floating at one stage.

But in any case it is totally irrelevant for any seller to put it in an ad, or I think so anyway. I wouldn't accept it as an excuse for things habitually arriving late, I would expect a seller to take account of delivery times and extend handling times to make the ETA realistic.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply