Australian buying from USA - import duties/GSP

Hi there...a question regarding the Global Shipment Program.

There is an item I am interested in buying that has:

Buy Now price of US $1,070

Postage:                US    $129

Import charges:    US    $306

We (in Australia) pay import charges on anything over $1000 Australian.

The seller has "Make Offer" enabled If I make an offer for less than AU $1000 ..lets say $900 US ($943 AU) and it is accepted by the seller....

Will the Postage charge still be : US $129?

Will there be any import duties?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Australian buying from USA - import duties/GSP

The eBay global shipping program fee included both the gst amount AND the shipper (shipper not seller) fee. Hence it being $300 and not $100. Huge rip off - yes. Either avoid sellers who use the GSP and ask for courier delivery (still very expensive) but your total amount (including shipping) must come in at under $1000 AUD otherwise it's 10%. I've done the customs processing myself (time consuming and a hassle) and had FedEx do it for me. Yes, FedEx and UPS will add their charges for customs processing to the bill which you can pay them over the phone with a credit card. Unless I am extremely wanting something, I make sure it costs under $1,000 AUD shipped.
Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

Thanks bron,

GSP...am not touching with a 10 foot pole!

But just checking...are you saying that if the seller uses a courier like FedEx or UPS...that the total (item + shipping) has to come in under AU $1000?

So item AU$700 / Courier costs= AU$400 ...you end up paying duty / GST?

Cheers,

Greg

Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

Yes!!

Greg. Read the word 'value' as 'total transaction value'. I repeat myself and support the reply you got from customs....if the total transaction value-which is : cost of item, insurance, postage and any other fees-like global shipping fees added in etc

If your TOTAL transaction value cost is over $1000 AUD expect to pay duties/customs fees, based on a formula appropriate to the type of goods you have purchased....it will end up costing you more.

Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

Actually...Customs reply to my question to them doesn't say that...(it was from an earlier reply from another user)

My reply from Customs reads:

"Dear Greg,

Thank you for your enquiry about importing goods under the value of AUD$1,000.00.

The freight costs are not included in the valuation of the importing item.  The freight costs are only included when a tax calculation is made. 

In short, if you post an item to Australia with a value of less than AUD$1,000.00, then no taxes are required to be paid.

Regards,"

Think I'll talk to one of the couriers at this end...sigh...

Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

If the items come via a courier such as FedEx or UPS you can be very sure you will have to pay duty if the goods are within cooee of the $1000 cut off.

I have had expensive items come through the postal system with no problem at all as they are automatically processed through Customs with just a cursory glance at the Declared Value.

When they come with a courier the company has to do individual Customs Clearances for each item and they add their costs on to the value, which they then declare to Customs.

IF you can get a $950 item sent through the postal service you should be OK but if it comes with a courier I would be more inclined to expect to be hit with duties and charges.

You can quote what the manual say till the cows come home but experience tells me to expect charges when a courier is used.

Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

I just got charged as a private buyer personal use,

**bleep**en ebay they charging import tax on every purchase ,, Subtotal AU $17.59 PostageAU $30.96 Import charges AU $9.81

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

I just got charged as private personal buyer,

ebay they charging import tax on every purchase ,, Subtotal AU $17.59 PostageAU $30.96 Import charges AU $9.81 

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

The seller must have been using the GSP......they charge a hefty fee for collecting the GST on top of the very expensive shipping charges.

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

There are many newer than 5 year-old threads, far more current as they relate to the issues that exist now, rather than those that existed 5 YEARS ago.

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply