BUYER BEWARE

ne-868
Community Member

I purchased an item on  eBay but when the item arrived it was not working.  I contacted the seller, they wanted me to upload a video of what happened when I tried to use the item so I did this and waited for a reply.  The seller stated that the item was obviously faulty and they would send a replacement. I waited and waited, I sent the seller an email asking where my replacement item was........no response.  I contacted eBay but was advised that as this had drawn out longer than 30 days there was nothing that could be done about getting my replacement or my money back.  The seller dragged this out, obviously knowing that eBay would do nothing after the 30 days. The item I purchased was not expensive, that is not the issue, the issue is that eBay state money back guarantee but it is only on their very limited terms which seems to suit both eBay and the seller but not the buyer.  I have followed this through again with eBay and the seller but have not gained anything, the seller does not respond and eBay just keep saying their hands are tied as it ran longer than 30 days.  BUYER BEWARE

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

BUYER BEWARE

imastawka
Honored Contributor

If the seller is registered in China (see their feedback page) then this is the usual tactic.

Make you wait until it's too late for an ebay claim.

If you paid by Paypal, then you have 180 days to open a dispute with them.

Do not close the case, even if the seller claims you must, until you have a refund.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

BUYER BEWARE

That is correct

30 day time limit

Not a secret or hidden, or new

eBay is ALL about the buyer, they give the buyer tools to protect themselves and show the time limits in which they need to be used 

You do not need to wait past the time limit if the seller is not helpful/dragging things out/making excuses

You open a case before the time is up

If a buyer chooses to ignore the time limit, or believe the time limit should not apply to them, yep. beware

Or pay with PayPal where you have 180 days to open a dispute 

Was the seller registered in China by any chance 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

BUYER BEWARE

Most regulars here know that a replacement is just an excuse so that the buyer loses the ability to open a dispute on eBay. 

And if the seller is in China, even if they wanted to really send a replacement, which I seriously doubt, it would take far too long, as the average delivery time from China is now about 2 months.

Buyers should open a dispute within the time frame stated by eBay, and if an item arrives later they can always be honest and contact the seller.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

BUYER BEWARE

You say BUYER BEWARE, but  I say, BUYERS, PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES? 

Goodness, 340 feedback yourself, how is it, you didn’t know how to get a refund on time? 
STOP BLAMING SELLERS….. the onus is on the buyer to do some due diligence and know the process when things go wrong.

Now, go and read the PayPal guidelines, get educated and go get your refund.

STOP communicating with the seller and eBay! Those doors are closed.

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

BUYER BEWARE

kapah-au
Community Member

We have had a similar experience.  The item (mobile phone) started coming apart within three weeks.  We contacted seller & asked for exchange or to return & get a refund.  Seller continues to ignore us. 

We opened a case with eBay but they have closed it as too much time has elapsed with the seller not contacting us.  So the seller gets away with selling faulty goods and eBay do nothing to help!

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

BUYER BEWARE

We opened a case with eBay but they have closed it as too much time has elapsed with the seller not contacting us

eBay closed the case because you didn't escalate it. Therein lies the problem. You need to use the Money Back Guarantee as it is designed.

Don't let sellers string you along. Use the tools eBay give you. If you don't know what they are READ the FAQs.

Maybe think about buying mobile phones from real sellers. I bought my current one from a B&M 3 years ago for less than $300. If you can't afford that...

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

BUYER BEWARE

The buyer gets all the tools

You did not follow the correct process but expect eBay will help anyway

Not going to happen

It is up to you to follow through with the dispute

The seller would not have gotten away with had you done what was needed

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply