Beware scammer, and I dont care if I lose my money. Im giving a negative comment.

zzs568
Community Member

I have paid for an external ssd drive advertised as 16tb capacity, the drive in fact held barely 1tb. After googling for information ,I soon became aware that this was a scam,and a number of different sellers were offering the same at similar prices. I alerted the seller to the fact that this unit was not what was claimed to be, and asked for a refund. I promptly sent the item back with a request for a signature on return to place of origin. The Seller informed me he would refund me the item after I had firstly left a "positive" comment. The fact is though that their item was falsely advertised as being 20 times the capacity it could hold. I would be lying to give a positive comment, and not only that- The seller wanted a positive comment first, before he would return it. That to me is blackmail. I suggested this to the seller, his reply was that he would refund it after it had returned and after I had made a positive comment first. Because it would be bad publicity for him. I checked with australia post. It was returned 4 days ago. And having to been "signatured for" I know he received it. Even though his last message suggests he has not recieved it.I cannot leave a positive comment. That would be a lie and helping the next victim believe the item was genuine. I want my money refunded, but I will not leave a positive comment. I have kept a copy of our entire conversations as proof.
Stan.

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Beware scammer, and I dont care if I lose my money. Im giving a negative comment.

It is blackmail/extortion, and it is against eBay rules.

You can open a case if the item is not as described. You don't have to ask a dodgy seller for a refund. I hope you still have time and that you didn't communicate for too long with this dodgy seller.

Otherwise (if you used PayPal to pay) you can also open a PP case (you have 180 days since the date of purchase).

And by all means, leave negative feedback.

Most external SSD drives on eBay are fake. It is enough to look at their price to see they are fake. Look at the prices of the real ones... They are quite expensive, and much smaller too: https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/c/technology/hard-drives-data-storage/solid-state-dr...

(SSDs are smaller than HDDs at this stage, but have other advantages.)

Message 2 of 34
Latest reply

Have you actually opened an official request for refund through eBayโ€™s Money Back Guarantee?

Did the seller provide you with a return label?

Was the return address domestic (within Australia)?

Orโ€ฆ did you just return off your own bat without necessarily being required to return the fake item?

Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

You report the seller for feedback extortion

You needed to follow correct eBay procedure (not just do your own thing)

and open the appropriate dispute via eBay  within the time frame to be covered by the MBG. An you would have gotten your money back

The seller does not get a say in it

Have you contacted eBay with your proof?

Was this through eBay messages and not private email to email

The seller has zero intention of doing anything and they knew exactly what they were doing from the start

Was this the seller in China?

Message 4 of 34
Latest reply

I contacted the seller but any person who asks for a positive comment after scamming has got a hide. Im not overly concerned if i lose my money. But I will leave a negative comment. The question is- How much hard can I go at him before, he or Ebay feel it necessary to remove my comment.- that would be a leg up for him.

Message 5 of 34
Latest reply

There are some rules for feedback, like not mentioning disputes or using foul language, but eBay will definitely not remove your comment for stating the truth (that the item is fake). As a matter of fact, you should report the item as fake.

(The seller cannot remove negative feedback; only eBay can.)

Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

I am in contact with Ebay through there facebook  chat, text windows. As yet they havent replied.

Message 7 of 34
Latest reply

Just trying to get onto ebay, now. Yes, address is sydney nsw. but im sure he is actually in china

Message 8 of 34
Latest reply

You have to open a case from your purchase history.

Ebay can also open a case for you if you contact them via live chat, but it would be better after the long weekend, as the representatives during the long weekend probably have no idea. I don't use Facebook, so I don't know how or if they can help from there.

Message 9 of 34
Latest reply

If it the seller who left you feedback most recently, it shows that they are in China

You needed to have opened  a dispute, not just 'send it back'  and you would have had your money back (why let a scammer have your money?) by now AND be able to leave a neg comment to warn others

Use the tools eBay give you

You do not need to back and forth with a scammer

The seller does not get a say

YOU have all the power

Message 10 of 34
Latest reply