Bid Limit

Hi I have received a message from a seller that he limits your bidding to only twice. Is this possible ? Thanks

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Bid Limit

I have never heard of that before .  Has he said Why ?

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Bid Limit

There is no such function in ebay but nothing stopping him from cancelling any bids if he is counting.

confused-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

image host
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Bid Limit

never heard of that happening with bidding, only offers which will limit you to 2 offers.
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Bid Limit

@romsey-pc wrote:

Hi I have received a message from a seller that he limits your bidding to only twice. Is this possible ? Thanks

As in, if you've bid twice on an item, he'll prevent further bids? Or, you can only bid on / purchase a maximum two separate auctions?

Both are possible, though to be honest, while I can actually understand some of the reasons behind trying to limit the number of bids (eg stop nibblers placing low-ball bids and get the maximums up front, and/or decrease the chances people will suspect shilling), I'm not entirely sure it's technically allowed (by the same token, as far as I know it's not expressly disallowed, either).

If it's the first option, where he'd prevent more than two bids on a single item, it would have to be done manually at the right time, and would involve adding your member ID to a BBL (blocked bidder list) once two bids have been placed, as well as cancelling any excess bids. 

The second option, to block more than a certain number of purchases, can be set up automatically and doesn't affect the number of bids that can be placed on a single item, but once the purchase limit has been reached, no further bids or purchases can be mae within the same week - that one is usually used by sellers of expensive items people only tend to buy one of (eg televisions, high-end fine jewellery etc, to help curb malicious or scam buying and so forth, but sometimes sellers of other types of items will use the block if they feel it suitable, or sometimes if they don't fully understand what it does).

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Bid Limit

@romsey-pc wrote:

Never heard of it. Quite frankly I think it is a ridiculous thing to do. It defeats the spirit of an auction. If this Seller is soooo concerned about the auction process that he/she feels it necessary to control the bidders in this way DONT use this function to sell your item. List it with a price or start the auction at the lowest price you are prepared to accept.

Ebay has done enough recently to shoot this platform in the foot, Sellers dont need to perpetuate the idiocy by ruining the buying experience in this way.

Ok MHO vented. lol Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Bid Limit

Sometimes my buyer requirements decide to block sellers from buying more than 1 item in 10 days, it is something I have never had selected myself but now I check every listing to make sure as a few times I have had buyers email me saying they have bought X and it won't let them bid on Y. It only happens on one id.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Bid Limit

Hi digi, I can undetand your comments, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose for having an Auction in the 1st place. Trying to get bidders to bid and get the highest price you can.  Why not then, just have a Buy It Now.  Just seems like a lot of extra effort & waste time.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Bid Limit

@horizon1907 wrote:

Hi digi, I can undetand your comments, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose for having an Auction in the 1st place. Trying to get bidders to bid and get the highest price you can.  Why not then, just have a Buy It Now.  Just seems like a lot of extra effort & waste time.

I agree ๐Ÿ™‚ I was just trying to think of the possible reasons that might have lead someone to decide they'd limit the number of bids someone could place - that's easy for me, cos I often first tend to think of over-complicated, inelegant answers or solutions, as well. Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply