Bought 57 Pre-owned Wii games, half not working

Hi All,

I recently bought a Wii Console with 57 games and 2 guitars which are all pre-owned. I've tested all of them and about half of the discs have huge scratches on the surface and they don't work. The Wii Console cannot read the disc and it states on the screen "The disc could not be read". 

I paid $260 for the entire bundle. He offers no returns on the listing, but I know you can return if the item is defective. In this case, half of the items of the bundle are not working.

How do I go about getting a refund for this? I know postage for the seller costed around $50, so I was wondering what are my options and how I can do this safely.

I would prefer a partial refund of 50%, I think this would save the seller money and it would save me stress as well.

Hopefully you guys can give me some suggestions as this was a pretty big purchase.

Jamie.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What would you, as a reseller, do if a buyer had the same issue?

Would you expect them to contact you and negotiate a solution? If so, why would you not do the same? If not, why not, and how do you handle such cases as a seller?

It is not a smart idea to sell on the same account you buy with.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

What would you, as a reseller, do if a buyer had the same issue?

Would you expect them to contact you and negotiate a solution? If so, why would you not do the same? If not, why not, and how do you handle such cases as a seller?

It is not a smart idea to sell on the same account you buy with.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

You could try and negotiate a partial refund from the seller, but he only has to look at your account and suspect you are wanting a refund to increase your profit margin. Not suggesting that is what you are doing, but it could look that way to the seller.

As Dave said, not a good idea to buy and sell on the same account if you are onselling.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Did the ad intimate that the console & all the games were in perfect working order? I think that is the main thing. Because you bought such a large bundle, I was wondering if the ad just said 'as is' or untested or something similar.

However, if the ad did imply they were all in good working order, then I think your best bet would be to contact the seller with a message.

I know this will sound fiddly, but I think it would be worth while writing a list of exactly which games are defective-naming them individually and attaching a couple of sample close up photos of the sort of scratches you mean.

If I were selling and had a buyer contact me, just saying 'about half' were not working, rightly or wrongly I would be suspicious it was a bit of an exaggeration. A named list, that carries more credibility in my opinion, as a seller can see exactly how many items are faulty and which ones they are.

Then ask the seller what he would like to do, say you are happy to return all items for a full refund (with return postage paid by him) or he may prefer to come to an agreement about a partial refund and that that would probably be your preference.

If the items were advertised as $260 but had 'free postage' & you know the postage was roughly $50, then keep in mind the bundle really only cost $210, so the partial refund offered won't be $130.

Then go from there. If the seller replies, offering you something like $30, you can reply that you think $100 would be fairer, given the number of defective items. If the seller won't come to the party at all, or the communication gets a bit nasty, stop and go straight to an ebay not as described claim.

I'd like to hear how you get on with this, hopefully it will work out okay.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

If the OP goes to an NAD claim, then all the items must be returned. I got the impression they didn't want to return them.

Further to what you said about photos, maybe the OP could take photos of the discs in the machine showing where it says disc can't be read. Or, better still, uninterrupted video showing the disk, then putting it in the machine, and then the image on the screen saying it cant be read.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Yes, if they can make a video, that would definitely be better.

If they do open an NAD claim, they will have to return the lot and you're right, the OP did seem to want to keep the working items. But I guess if the seller doesn't come to the party with a partial refund, at least it would be a way to get the money back.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

etb321
Community Member

I'm of the view the seller would have been aware of the condition of the game disks.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply