Box arrived damaged

Hi everyone. So today I received a package that was a figurine, but the box dented in several places and the corners are crushed (figurine is not damaged). This was disappointing because as a collector the condition of the box is very important to me. It was clearly damaged through shipping because before I purchased it I asked the seller if the box was in perfect condition. He said yes and sent a photo. I also sent him a message after purchasing telling him to make sure the box was protected. Instead I received it in a satchel with one layer of bubble wrap.. Am I eligible to receive a refund?
Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Box arrived damaged

First contact the buyer with a couple of photos of the damage. Ask if this was the condition the box was in when they sent it, or if the damage occurred in transit.

Don't say anything about returns at this stageโ€”just wait for them to reply with confirmation of its condition when they lodged it.

Assuming they admit it has been damaged in transit, I'd then be asking politely to return it and opening an 'item not as described' case.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

Contact the SELLER.Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

lill.bear - so you are a collector?

What do you collect it for - to sell for profit, or park in the cabinet and look at it? (like my mom, who couldn't care less about the boxes, she just enjoys looking at her hideous figurines!)
Please don't bother the seller any more - they have only send you the photo of the box.

Almost everything in boxes gets damaged in the mail - not surprising at all - on account of how they are handled.

We know someone who is  making outrageous demands on sellers re the packing!

If I was the seller I would soon tell them where to go - somewhere else, of course!

It wouldn't even occur to her to offer seller some more money for the materials (she wants so much stuff for packing, instructions to the seller are as long as your arm!), and it would take considerable time to wrap and use them all even if seller agreed to all that carp!

We told her to offer them at least $50  more for their time and materials, and the answer was: "You are crazy! That is seller's problem, if he doesn't do it I usually claim my money back and always get it" 

A regular slime bag that one,  not our friend, we just know her.

Anyway, you got the item in one piece, the last thing seller wants to hear is from you about the box!

If you are planning to sell it you'll get the same money - and then of course you won't even have to worry about this endless layers of packing when you post it to the buyer! That is a huge bonus in itself.

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

Contact the SELLER.Smiley Wink

Lol, exactlyโ€“please forgive my typo!

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

@fixnwear wrote:

lill.bear - so you are a collector?

What do you collect it for - to sell for profit, or park in the cabinet and look at it? (like my mom, who couldn't care less about the boxes, she just enjoys looking at her hideous figurines!)
Please don't bother the seller any more - they have only send you the photo of the box.

Almost everything in boxes gets damaged in the mail - not surprising at all - on account of how they are handled.

We know someone who is  making outrageous demands on sellers re the packing!

If I was the seller I would soon tell them where to go - somewhere else, of course!

It wouldn't even occur to her to offer seller some more money for the materials (she wants so much stuff for packing, instructions to the seller are as long as your arm!), and it would take considerable time to wrap and use them all even if seller agreed to all that carp!

We told her to offer them at least $50  more for their time and materials, and the answer was: "You are crazy! That is seller's problem, if he doesn't do it I usually claim my money back and always get it" 

A regular slime bag that one,  not our friend, we just know her.

Anyway, you got the item in one piece, the last thing seller wants to hear is from you about the box!

If you are planning to sell it you'll get the same money - and then of course you won't even have to worry about this endless layers of packing when you post it to the buyer! That is a huge bonus in itself.

Interesting thoughts but not really relevant to the topic.  Original packaging often contributes to the value of a collectable, and if the seller (SELLER!! Smiley Very Happy) has inadequately packaged the item for shipping, the buyer has a right to ask the question, particularly if they've established prior to purchase that the box was in perfect condition.

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

tazzieterror, 

I am sure if you read it again, properly this time - you'll see that is relevant, every word of it!

But your comment is also right, about buyer claiming their money back as the box is damaged.

That is I presume so they can get the maximum amount of money when it's resold!

This is the part that always confuses me - if they care so much about the box why on Earth don't they pay extra to the seller for layers of this & that as well as the extra time the poor sould would need to much around with it.

Only then if the item came minus all the extra stuff would they have a case!

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

Almost everything in boxes gets damaged in the mail - not surprising at all - on account of how they are handled

That is, at best, a furphy. Plenty of fragile items arrive in GOC if adequately packed. Like more than a layer of bubblewrap around a box if the box contains airspace. If packed in a box with the spaces filled with something (cardboard, newspaper, beads), there is a fair chance the item would have arrived in as advertised condition.

Why the OP bought the item is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether it arrived in the condition it was in (including box) when the OP purchased the item. This one patently didn't.

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

Tazzie, I mean - if you were the seller of figurines, wouldn't you put in the listing:

"Hey peeps, in order to protect the box as well as the item, you need to pay more as 20 layers of bubble wrap and also wheat beads as well as air cushions cost more than the usual packing.

In addition, postage will be much more, I'll need a box at least 5 times larger to accomodate all that stuff."

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

It is the responsibility of the seller to ensure packaging is adequate. If that costs time or money, it is up to the seller to include those costs in the price, not to decide they'll whack some bubblewrap around it and chuck it in a satchel.

You seem fixated on resale value. That has nothing to do with the item arriving in a not as described condition.

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply