Box arrived damaged

Hi everyone. So today I received a package that was a figurine, but the box dented in several places and the corners are crushed (figurine is not damaged). This was disappointing because as a collector the condition of the box is very important to me. It was clearly damaged through shipping because before I purchased it I asked the seller if the box was in perfect condition. He said yes and sent a photo. I also sent him a message after purchasing telling him to make sure the box was protected. Instead I received it in a satchel with one layer of bubble wrap.. Am I eligible to receive a refund?
Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Box arrived damaged

As another collector of things that come in boxes, a damaged box can cause a massive drop in value. I collect my items (Matchbox cars), because I like them. However, if I live long enough, I plan to sell them when I retire and use the money to do whatever I feel like. That could be a round the world cruise, a trek across Antarctica, or even a move to Svalbard (although, it's illegal to die there, so maybe not a good retirement location).

I couldn't care less if your mother doesn't give a toss about the boxes, or whether you do or don't like her hideous figurines. She must like them. Just think, you can have the pleasure of smashing them all in the bin when she checks out. Or you could throw them in the box with her. 

As someone who has received a damaged box a few times, my sellers have always been really good about it. As collectors themselves, they understand the importance of a pristine box. They have all accepted returns (oh, except one, he chose to refund without return, then I sent half back because I didn't feel right about a full refund). They were then able to resell them with a damaged box, which plenty of people are happy to buy, that really want a particular model.

I support the OP contacting the seller. They bought an item with a mint box, according to the photo the seller sent. That isn't what they got. They have every right to question the seller. If nothing else, it might make the seller pack future items they sell better.

Message 11 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

davewill 1964 - You most likely know about damages in post much better than I do!

All I know is what I saw, I can't think of a single item I have bought that comes in a box, like a pair of shoes, or a tie with cuff links set, or a bathroom shower curtain or whatever... I forget now all the stuff - that the box wasn't squashed in the post!

Not that it mattered to me as the box gets discarded anyway - but I can tell you with absolute certainty that  not a single boxed item has ever arrived intact.

Oh, I tell a lie! There was a hard  watch box (a leather box) that didn't have a scratch on it!

Message 12 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

@fixnwear wrote:

Tazzie, I mean - if you were the seller of figurines, wouldn't you put in the listing:

"Hey peeps, in order to protect the box as well as the item, you need to pay more as 20 layers of bubble wrap and also wheat beads as well as air cushions cost more than the usual packing.

In addition, postage will be much more, I'll need a box at least 5 times larger to accomodate all that stuff."

I sell fragile items. I have NEVER had a breakage in over 10,000 sales. EVER. Why? Because I know how to pack stuff so it arrives in the condition the buyer bought it in. It is up to the seller to package things properly.

I had a seller send some crockery plates wrapped in a single layer of newspaper, and then put in a satchel. Not only was it a waste of plates that were smashed beyond anything in the satchel, the package was a danger to the mail handlers. I got a full refund, but the seller couldn't understand what happened. Seriously?

Message 13 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

@fixnwear wrote:

davewill 1964 - You most likely know about damages in post much better than I do!

All I know is what I saw, I can't think of a single item I have bought that comes in a box, like a pair of shoes, or a tie with cuff links set, or a bathroom shower curtain or whatever... I forget now all the stuff - that the box wasn't squashed in the post!

Not that it mattered to me as the box gets discarded anyway - but I can tell you with absolute certainty that  not a single boxed item has ever arrived intact.

Oh, I tell a lie! There was a hard  watch box (a leather box) that didn't have a scratch on it!

With (at least) the majority of the items you have listed, the box is not relevant to the contents. It doesn't form part of the product itself, and is not required for the product to be used, and will generally be thrown away.

Except for the watch box, which I assume is good for storage and protection.

This is not the case for things like collectible figurines - for items like that, the box is the display case, as well. That is why they affect the value. Consider them like the covers of comic books if likening them to a display case doesn't work. You can have two identical issues, one pristine and one with dog-eared covers. The pristine one is more valuable (assuming it's a valulable issue, anyway), for reasons that I hope are obvious. 

The buyer clearly expressed interest / concern over the condition of the box, indicating this mattered, and I am sure most sellers of boxed figurines would already be well aware of the importance of such things regardless. The seller could also have offered to pack with greater protection and care for an additional cost, since they were the ones in a position to know what their charges would cover. 

+1 from me for contacting the seller, anyway. 

Message 14 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

A box inside a box is usually sufficient, as long as they use something that isn't flimsy. I had a sealed PS2 game arrived in a million pieces, with the cover slip torn and the manual bent (surprisingly, the disc didn't get scratched even though it was sitting on top of all the plastic shards) because someone thought it was fine to send the $40 item in a prepaid paper envelope - splurging $1 (or $2 because Australia Post) on a bubble mailer would have at least provided some protection. Boxes cost $0 at Bunnings, Colesworths etc. so there is no excuse for people to skimp on packaging, and even if the item is over 500g, if the box fits into a small satchel you pay $9.25 and not $13 or whatever. Bubble wrap might cost a few dollars but it lasts forever if you don't waste it. Even scrunching up old 15c shopping bags as padding is better then nothing.
Message 15 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

@fixnwear wrote:

I don't, but I don't buy collectible figurines. I do know the basics of adequate packing, though, as my customers will attest.

You, by your own admission, seem to know nothing about posting fragile items, but have decided, a few times in this thread, to tell the buyer that they shouldn't expect to get what they bought, in the condition it was advertised in.

Which is THE issue here.

Message 16 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

@fixnwear wrote:

tazzieterror, 

I am sure if you read it again, properly this time...

Yes yesโ€”I read it several times, and in no part was a pertinent point purveyed.

It is not up to the buyer to "pay extra" for an item to be adequately packed and sentโ€”you are mistaken, there.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 17 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

@fixnwear wrote:

tazzieterror, 

I am sure if you read it again, properly this time - you'll see that is relevant, every word of it!

But your comment is also right, about buyer claiming their money back as the box is damaged.

That is I presume so they can get the maximum amount of money when it's resold!

This is the part that always confuses me - if they care so much about the box why on Earth don't they pay extra to the seller for layers of this & that as well as the extra time the poor sould would need to much around with it.

Only then if the item came minus all the extra stuff would they have a case!

Listen mate, it doesn't matter what the buyer does with the item if they choose to keep it, resell/display/gift, whatever it doesn't matter, that's their business and not relevant. 

As for your lengthy post, I couldn't agree less I'm afraid. I have packaged and sent probably up towards a few thousand packages, very fragile items, obscure shapes, original boxes and have never had a box damaged, not even slightly. It is the seller's responsibility to package securely so the buyer gets what they paid for. Plain and simple

Message 18 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

@lill.berr wrote:
Hi everyone. So today I received a package that was a figurine, but the box dented in several places and the corners are crushed (figurine is not damaged). This was disappointing because as a collector the condition of the box is very important to me. It was clearly damaged through shipping because before I purchased it I asked the seller if the box was in perfect condition. He said yes and sent a photo. I also sent him a message after purchasing telling him to make sure the box was protected. Instead I received it in a satchel with one layer of bubble wrap.. Am I eligible to receive a refund?

If I sold collectables, I would make sure to pack them so that the items had a good chance of arriving without damage.

Even I know that having a collectable item boxed & both the item & box in pristine condition can result in a much higher sales price.

So logically, a seller should build in that extra packaging or boxing cost into the sales price at the beginning. They could even explain it in the ad if they felt they needed to.

The buyer may not be thinking of re-selling it now or in the near future, maybe they will leave their collection to their children. Doesn't matter. 

All that matters is this buyer cared about the box condition. They made it obvious to the seller that it mattered, but the seller still sent if off in a satchel, with minimal protection.

So yes, I'd say the buyer is eligible for a refund. I'd contact the seller first, they may offer a partial refund (if that suits) or else a full refund on return. If they won't come to the party, open an ebay claim for item not as described.

Message 19 of 37
Latest reply

Box arrived damaged

Yes the box can significantly effect the value. Years ago just before I started selling, I bought a combined order of collectible toys from a seller in the UK, including quite a few Dr Who figures in original packaging. The seller threw them into an oversized non rigid box so the contents were moving around inside. Worse, the box obviously arrived badly crushed, damaging the items. I was furious because with a bit of care, infill etc it could have been avoided. It was just lazy.

By comparison I bought some of my childhood toys from an independent site who packaged really well, very fair with combined postage, from the US, very happy, nothing damaged.

I started selling shortly after and used those experiences to model my level of care with packaging. I vowed right from the get go that a 99c item would get the same care a $99 item would get. 

Yes I agree if a larger or more expensive postage option is required it's up to the seller to quote postage accordingly. The buyer should receive the entire item (box and content) exactly as seen in the ad. If the postal service drives their truck over it or inflicts obvious damage (rare) then compensation can be claimed from them, otherwise it's on the seller IMO

Message 20 of 37
Latest reply