Breach of privacy - seller is notified that I have looked at their item

Today I have logged in to my account and I have seen an "offer" from a seller of an item I had previously viewed.

I did not watch the item, I simply browsed it once.

Upon contacting "customer service", I have been advised that sellers can enable the option to auto contact people browsing their listings and make offers to them.

This is a breach of privacy. If I am browsing listings, there is an expectation that I am doing so anonymously.

How do I prevent sellers from knowing that I am looking at their items?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I don't believe the seller actually has your details, it's more an automated offer sent by eBay itself.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

How is the seller seeing your eBay user name a 'breach of privacy' ?

They do not have your real name/address/email address/phone number 

But if you believe it is a 'breach of privacy' then report it to the relevant body

Surprising that customer service was available on Easter Sunday 

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

No we don't see any details about you,  not even your user name.   

we have the option to send offers,  but we don't know who,  just that it is someone who either is watching the item, or has put in in their cart for at least 2 days.   But it is totally anonymous 

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

How do I prevent sellers from knowing that I am looking at their items?

Don't buy anything online. Simples.

As said sellers who send offers have no idea who you are.

Maybe try buying from sites that require 100 points of identity instead (haha). Or buy a tinfoil hat from a real shop.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Could not have said it any better myself. I really can't see the problem anyway. Might just get a good bargain without the 100 ID points 😆.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Don't stress.

The sellers can't see who it is browsing but they can decide to send offers to watchers.

I've only ever had offers for items in my watched list though, so your case is a 'first' as far as I am aware, where simply looking at an item in passing resulted in an offer.

I love offers, it's a chance to get something I was interested in at a slightly better price. What's not to love?

If you're worried about the ebay system knowing what you are watching, then you're going to have to up your internet game, make sure you clear your history and what have you, never talk in front of your phone etc because the bots are always watching and listening, in case you haven't noticed. 

If you use facebook, you will especially notice this as a lot of ads will come up about anything you googled or looked at, including ebay items.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

I find the automated response of an offer from a seller on Ebay when I am browsing for items very handy and not in the least a breach of privacy.

I don’t see a problem.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@justin.s3 wrote:

This is a breach of privacy. If I am browsing listings, there is an expectation that I am doing so anonymously.

So - justin.s3 - is not anonymous. ??

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

But can be posted on a public forum 

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply