Buying a mobility item from overseas

Here's the story.  I need to buy a walker/pick up frame of a particular style and size not currently available in Australia.  (I was told the original supplier went out of business).  I have searched suppliers in Oz (online, emails, phone calls) with no luck.  In fact I've lost count of how many I've contacted.  One mobility company in Oz had been trying for months to track one down, not just for me but for other customers. but I got the call - they have given up and will refund my money.

The issue with companies buying overseas equipment is that it must pass the Aust Standards approval process.  Without that they can't sell them.  Fair enough...however....  I called the Oz branch of the company that makes one that fits all my criteria, but it has not yet been approved for sale here and according to the company there is a backlog of equipment requiring approval and the process can take 18 months or longer.  I don't know if the item I want is in the approval backlog or not, but it's possible.

So...I've seen the walker for sale on eBay from many US mobility suppliers.  All use the GSP which sticks in my craw, but the situation is getting desperate.  Has anyone successfully bought one from overseas?  I hesitate to test it on two grounds.  Is it legal to source one from overseas for private use (ie not to sell)?  I have no wish to get into trouble with customs or whatever govt department this comes under.  Secondly, even if it is OK, is it something Pitney Bowes are likely to refuse to honour due to their tendency to reject items on a whim?

I don't know what to do.  I am frustrated and angry at how this has been dragging on with months and months of trying with no good outcome.

Message 1 of 78
Latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Re: Buying a mobility item from overseas

Some drivers will, some will not Dave.

My OH does mostly deliveries to businesses in the Sydney CBD so mainly delivers to mail rooms.

He was asked to deliver to a private home and ring just before delivery, which he did.  The phone was engaged but he kept trying but arrived at the address before the phone would ring.  The thanks he got was a mouthful of abuse for not following directions....and an official complaint laid against him.

Unfortunately, it is customers like this who spoil it for others who have genuine reasons for asking for special treatment.

Message 71 of 78
Latest reply

Update this afternoon on Pitney Bowes and FedEx - it is 'at destination sort facility Mascot AU'.  Fed Ex have now given an estimated delivery date which I am not going to mention.  I might jinx it. 😉

Aust Post are very good.  I had a registered post letter a few weeks ago but I missed it, so I waited at the door for the postie to come down the other side of the road on his rounds and when he got to the house directly across from me I called out to him and he came over, gave me the letter and as he also had to retrieve the missed delivery card, he collected the rest of my mail from my letterbox.  Today I had another item to sign for and he remembered me and waited at the door.  My regular AP parcel contractor also knows to put parcels in the safe drop place, and if it's a normal delivery just knock then leave it, but if a signature is required he will wait for me.

The problem with couriers is most of the time I don't know what company sellers are using for deliveries.  It not just on eBay either.  I bought an item online and delivery took over a week (it seems the courier they use on that occasion subcontracted it) but the next time I placed an order I allowed for the delivery lag and my package arrived in two days.

Who do I contact at FedEx if I want to ask them to wait for me?  It's a big company and the site that is currently tracking my purchase is the US one.

Message 72 of 78
Latest reply

Just look on the FedEx website.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Customer Service on the left hand side of the page.

There is a phone number on there for Australia wide contact as well as the hours....8am to 10pm I think.

Message 73 of 78
Latest reply

Thanks.

Tracking now says Customs Cleared International Shipment Release...and it's at Matraville.

Message 74 of 78
Latest reply

Just across Botany Bay from me....about 20 minutes drive away.Smiley Very Happy

I really don't think you have anything at all to worry about....everything is going smoothly and quite quickly.  Just relax and enjoy the experience of the GSP working as it should work.

Message 75 of 78
Latest reply

I am a lot more relieved now that I know it has been cleared by Customs. 🙂

Message 76 of 78
Latest reply

My new walker frame arrived yesterday, much to my surprise.  It was a few days earlier than expected (....the tracking still says on route to destination).

The courier knocked on the door but didn't wait.  He left the parcel beside the back door and he was gone before I got the door open.  Goodness knows if I was supposed to sign for it or not. 

It was in its original packing which was a plastic bag covering the walker then it was inside the company's own (printed) corrugated cardboard box.  The cardboard was very battered in places with some slashes in it and one end looked like there had been an attempt to open it up (customs maybe?) but the walker itself was undamaged.  It was quite a challenge to get it into the house because of its size.

The walker is the model I ordered.  It is very well made but it is slightly heavier than the hospital one as it has more steel components in the frame (the one I had on loan has more aluminium).  The width is correct thank goodness, however the sides open out at a 90 degree angle whereas the older frame opens out a little bit wider.  It doesn't sound like a big difference, but until I get used to it, you would not believe how many times I have bashed my toes on the walker thinking I had more space to put my feet.  Ouch.  It's been a painful learning curve. 🙂

Knowing how long it has taken for other GSP customers to receive their purchases, I'm wondering that may be things work faster when it comes to medical purchases?

Message 77 of 78
Latest reply

I am glad it has arrived safely.

I doubt that there is any distinction between medical items and any other items.

You have just been very lucky and the GSP has gone very smoothly....it has worked exactly as it should work.

If it happened like this more often I think buyers would not be so unhappy with it....it is one thing to pay high prices for items that are delivered quickly but quite another when you wait forever for them to turn up.

Message 78 of 78
Latest reply