Buying without a picture?

Hello, looking for some advice:

I want to buy a figurine as a gift. The seller is selling the figurine as unopened and is packaged in foam still sealed (I can see the foam box from the pictures he does have uploaded, as well as other contents in the outer box).

Now I've done some research on this figurine that the company made a batch of misprinted figurines (eyebrows in the wrong place, stains on the stand etc) so I've asked the seller for pictures of the figurine before I buy.

What if the seller says he can't take pcitures because the foam is sealed and doesn't want to break the seal?

The outer box (which he does have pictures of), is opened, but the figurine is still sealed.

The seller has 100% feedback. Not sure how to proceed.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Hi, have a look at the stars that the seller has for description.

Can you please tell us what the feedback rating is for the seller?  It would pay to view seller's FB at 200 per page and search for description or described. That's a good indicator.

Seller probably is a decent seller but best to make sure.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

@deku-nuts wrote:

What if the seller says he can't take pcitures because the foam is sealed and doesn't want to break the seal?

What if he doesn't?

This is pretty simple - either you will buy the figurine sight unseen, or you won't.

And, either the seller will break the seal, or they won't.

If you will buy the figurine sight unseen, it doesn't matter whether the seller agrees, if you won't buy it without viewing, how you proceed will depend on whether the seller will break the seal - if they do, and it looks fine, you buy, if they don't, you won't buy. 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Is the figurine numbered or is there any kind of manufacturing batch numbering details that the seller might have, that you can compare to info about the dodgy ones?  Or may be a receipt of purchase from the seller that can provide more info?

To be honest, I wouldn't risk buying it if you either can't view it, or the seller can't provide info that this figurine is 'right' - especially as you are buying it as a gift!.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

too risky to buy

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

@deku-nuts wrote:

Hello, looking for some advice:

I want to buy a figurine as a gift. The seller is selling the figurine as unopened and is packaged in foam still sealed (I can see the foam box from the pictures he does have uploaded, as well as other contents in the outer box).

Now I've done some research on this figurine that the company made a batch of misprinted figurines (eyebrows in the wrong place, stains on the stand etc) so I've asked the seller for pictures of the figurine before I buy.

The outer box (which he does have pictures of), is opened, but the figurine is still sealed.

The seller has 100% feedback. Not sure how to proceed.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I think I would message the seller (as you have) and ask if you could have some photos of the figurine but I would also explain exactly why-that you are interested in buying it as a gift but you have read the company did have some of the batch misprinted and you do not want to buy a faulty one.

Now the seller should reply and it could go several ways. Either he will open it and include photos, or he may refuse but guarantee you the item is fine and if it isn't, he will refund or then again, he may refuse, say he doesn't know, assumes it is okay but is selling it as is.

So, in the first case, if the item is fine and you see photos, you go ahead and buy. If he won't open but says it is all fine, you could buy but if it is faulty, immediately open an ebay claim for item not as described. You would need to provide photos but faults like you described would be obvious, plus you'd have the message confirmation it was supposed to be fine.

In the last scenario though, I would not buy at all.

To my mind, if a seller hears that some of a batch of whatever he is selling was faulty, you'd think it would be in his interests to check. I know if I were selling it, I certainly would! Good luck.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

It's really up to you. The seller is probably honest, having 100% fb, but really doesn't want to break the seal.

If you decide to buy and the figurine turns out to be one of the faulty ones, you could open a case for "item not as described" if you can prove that the figurine is faulty/misprinted and the seller does not help.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply