Can I get a refund from PayPal for this item?

I brought a camera and it arrived and wasn't what I was expecting as there was no CD or even camera cable but I didn't it bother me because it was a small issue and as I use Mac my computers don't have the disk drive anyway. 
Second issue was the wall charger- it came with an adaptor so while this item was listed as sold in Australia, it wasn't Australia stock and I wouldn't have brought it if I knew it came with an adapter as I have an older house that is prone to outages due to things like converter adapters. That annoyed me a bit more, but I went to use it anyway as I charged the battery at work. Turns out the picture quality is nothing like the quality of the camera I tried out in store a couple of days before buying the camera Smiley Sad. As I'm familiar with cameras and the settings, I did try to adjust and adjust but there was literally nothing pleasing about this item. So I contacted the seller to request a return for refund. At first they were helpful, offering to contact Canon and give them the reason for the return (for the warranty, so they could get their money back and mine, I'm assuming) but at this point I have 4 days left for their "14 day returns" and I'm worried they may use that - 'sorry 14 days have passed, you can't return the item now'. At this point I feel like they are not being helpful, but more so just messing me around or trying to find anyway they can get around having to do a refund. I understand that its better for them to not do a return, but in regards to my happiness with the item, they will have a neg coming their way at this point because the item is just **bleep**py Smiley Sad. I'm at the point where I just want to scream 'give me your freaking address so I can return it and stop dragging this out', but I don't want to act like that because they have tired to be helpful, but like I said, they just seem to be dragging this out on purpose now to the point where they may be doing this until my PayPal protection expires as well. Should I open a case with PayPal? I have used the camera though Smiley Sad. By used I mean taken it out, taken some shots, been unimpressed/shocked and packed it back up. Its not damaged as in broken, its just bad quality. I packed it back perfectly but now I'm guessing the item would be "used". I haven't left feedback and the seller hasn't either. What should I do? I have never had this issue with buying an item before. I'm so miserable with this purchase, I wish I just paid the extra $100.00 and got it in store, as the ordeal would have been dealt with by now if I had this issue. Can I file with PayPal or is it no use since I used the item? I feel so off-put by this I don't even want this camera anymore I'm so miserable about it. Am I just being unreasonable and should just suck this up and move on or possibly try to re-sell? Any advice would be good. Thanks Smiley Happy.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Open an Item Not As Described dispute with paypal, return the item with tracking etc. And you should get your money back after the seller receives the returned item.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

yes, file a dispute with paypal;   don't post back until paypal tell you to - paypal will tell you where to post - you must use a suitable tracking postage system to comply with paypal

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Yes, sorry, I always assume people know the dispute procedures. Don't post it until PayPal instructs you to, and to the address PayPal supply you with. 

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@sidney-26 wrote:

at this point I have 4 days left for their "14 day returns" and I'm worried they may use that - 'sorry 14 days have passed, you can't return the item now'. 

The time period for returns is generally only relevant to change of mind returns - that is, the item is exactly as described and fully functional, but the buyer doesn't want it for whatever reason. Those kinds of returns are optional for a seller to accept, and they can place their own conditions on them like a narrow time-frame for a purchase to remain eligible, that the item is unused / unopened etc.

However, if an item is faulty or significantly not as described, other consumer protections take precendence over any conditions the seller may impose (or try to). 

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Next time can you please use some paragraphs and space between them. It did my head in trying to read that huge block of text with no spaces.

photo GRUMPYCATSIGN_zpsa8f18bba.jpg
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I'm sorry, I was having problems with the box and re-entered my text into HTML and clicked post and that caused it to bunch.
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you!  I'm sorta new to how things like this work.

My cousin just inspected it and said that it looks refurbished. It was listed as new and unused so I'll just contact the seller again and if they drag this one more time, I'll go the PayPal way and see what happens.

Appriciate the reply. 

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Haha yes I'm new. I have used PayPal for a while, but never needed to return anything.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it :).
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you so much.
I'll have to check the appropriate postage methods.

Appreciate the help! 🙂
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply