Missing Parcel Mystery

Honestly - where do they go...and why?

It seems a recent purchase has apparently been lost in the mail.  Impeccable seller (and not from a country with a dodgy postal system), item would have no customs issues either, parcel is correctly addressed, letterbox big enough to take it (or a good safe drop place if it isn't)....but among all the stuff purchased lately it goes missing....and it's not rare or expensive either so I can't imagine who would want to steal it.

I wonder what happened to my purchase.  It's a mystery.

(Seller has promised to send a replacement - fingers crossed it turns up!)

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Missing Parcel Mystery

LOL-this could turn into a very long thread if everyone jumps in with their own personal experiences re missing items.There is no one definitive answer IMHO.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

Missing Parcel Mystery

cq_tech
Community Member
Your missing parcel may still ultimately turn up, albeit some months down the track. I've often wondered how many dyslexic postal workers have inadvertently sent parcels destined for Australia to Austria instead. It happened to one of my items once and I'm convinced it wasn't an isolated incident, either. Needless to say I did eventually receive it some 3 months later, long after the seller had refunded me the small amount involved (which I immediately repaid, much to his delight).
Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

Missing Parcel Mystery

Austria - Australia.  I hadn't thought of that! Smiley Surprised  Maybe it will turn up eventually. (Naturally if it does the seller will be paid for the replacement)

I had one purchase take just over two months (from the US) a couple of years ago.  The seller had refunded my money....then of course it arrived. Smiley Embarassed  And yes, I repaid her.  It was a collectable item in good condition - we were both relieved that I finally got it!

But then again, not all purchases that go missing turn up.  I guess because I haven't lost a purchase for quite a while, I can't help wondering, "Why THIS one?"

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Missing Parcel Mystery

I work at a parcel sorting facility and it happens a lot with Austria aswell as New Zealand... not because of dislexic posties but because of the use of modern technology... machines are now replacing people therefore a machine sends items according to post codes... whereas a person sends items according to location...

Austria and New Zealand have similar post codes as Australia... thank goodness I work in a mail facility were we have limited use of machines and more of a manual work force... there we are each day sorting all of the missorts which machines are not capable of reading corectly...

Hopefully your parcel will come very soon

with kind regards from Stella 🙂

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Missing Parcel Mystery

Posties can't read either, one to my daughter, right house no and st, but wrong city and state. She gave it back so that person would have got it aventually.

Another 2 registered parcles just dropped off at another house right house no, wrong st, if that lady hadn't been honest she would have not gotten those ones, she dropped them off to my daughter who was just in the next st. This postie got told off for leaving registered parcels without signing.

And of course there was the Gin Gin postie who took most of his delieveries home. He did get caught and went to court, so lots of reasons why parcels go missing,

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Missing Parcel Mystery

It might still be delivered. I get really impatient as well. If it turns up after 2nd item has been posted you will have to pay for both or return one. I think its better just to be a bit patient and correspond with your seller.
Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Missing Parcel Mystery

It isn't very nice to imply that every postal worker cannot read .... or that they steal parcels, misplace letters and don't do anything right.. I take pride in my work and so do my workmates... we are there when its freezing cold, steaming hot, or pouring rain, to do our job.

There are many times when we have to correct the postcodes, look up street addresses to make sure the mail goes to the right location or repackage parcels that havent been packaged properly... we make sure that if something is fragile that we place it in the special sections alocated for them... we do our best each afternoon to sort the parcels and letters quickly and accurately so they can be on their way to reach their destination safely...

I am not suggesting that we are perfect, nobody is, all I am saying is please think it over carefully the next time you decide to write something that can insult people who do their work right...

With kind regards

from Stella 🙂

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

Missing Parcel Mystery

chezzy
Community Member

You know - if it is from overseas it could be as simple as not having an AIRMAIL sticker stuck on. This happened to me earlier this year - asked and paid for a package to be sent by USPS First Class International (from the USA). Weeks went by and I was convinced it was lost or stolen. Turns up VERY late (took 6 weeks) and what do you know - no indication of AIRMAIL or FIRST CLASS on the package even though the sender had paid for that and that was the amount on the package.

Such a simple thing too.....

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

Missing Parcel Mystery

More than a few years ago an ebay purchase arrived later than I expected from overseas.  It had no air mail sticker, no customs form, just my name and address and the sender's details.  The sender's name was quite foreign to the country it was posted from.  Clearly, coupled with the lack of correct paperwork Aust Customs probably thought it looked suss.  When I finally received it well over a month after it had been posted, it had extra tape around it which said it had been opened by Aust Customs.

After that I half expected to see it featured on an episode of Border Security. Smiley Wink  But of course that didn't happen - I guess it would have been a downer for the camera to focus on it as it was opened....only to find the contents were entirely legal and rather ordinary.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply