Can I return an item that is sold "as is"

crollage
Community Member

Hi, I'm a newbie to ebay & need some advice.

I want to buy an item that has a fault & the seller has highlighted the fault in the listing.. which I'm fine with. The seller has a line in the listing saying .. As this Mini Disc has a fault and it is noted in the listing it is sold "as is". 

Would I be able to return it if there are other faults with the item that are not mentioned in the listing? The seller has a 7 day return policy for change of mind.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Can I return an item that is sold "as is"

I can't say what eBay's policy on this would be - that alone can be a bit of a pig in a poke - but speaking personally, an item described as "as is" is just that, especially when the seller has declared it as being faulty. If you can't inspect the item personally and are concerned about the risk, I would advise avoiding it. It's not really fair (in my opinion) to expect a refund because an item described as "as is - faulty" because it's more faulty than you expected.

Cheers,

Marina.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Yes

If there is problems that are not listed in the description you can do an item not as described.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@crollage wrote:

Would I be able to return it if there are other faults with the item that are not mentioned in the listing? The seller has a 7 day return policy for change of mind.. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you meet the seller's conditions for change of mind, you can return it for any reason within 7 days of receiving it (it should go without saying, but just in case - that means the item has to remain in as received condition, if you attempt repairs, replace parts, or alter it in any way, it's not eligible for any kind of return).

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

my thoughts would be

its obviously not new and as seller has highlighted at least one fault with it i'd expect not to recieve a very good item.

so does whatever other fault/s the item have stop it from doing whatever it is supposed to do?

if it was a cd if it had scratches but played ok then i'd think it was good for intended use.

if it didnt play perfectly then it would be just a drink coaster and a refund should be given.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Just message the seller and say you know it has such and such a fault & you're fine with that, but do they know if it is okay otherwise or are there other potential problems.

My understanding of 'as is' is the seller probably feels they are covering themselves against any fault, they are not making any guarantee about the condition of the item. They may have highlighted an obvious fault but quite possibly have not tested it.

I'd be wary, which is why I would ask for clarification first. Quite possibly you may be able to win an item not as described case but do you really want to have to go to that bother if a message first will clear it up without commiting to buy?

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply