Can I use the ebay voucher again if first seller cancels my order?

I was watching two sellers over an item I wanted. I messaged both sellers to ask for best price and shipping. They both replied with no, that Is best price. Then ebay offered me a $10 off voucher so I purchased from the cheaper seller only to be messaged to say that the item was out of stock and had been for weeks. They are returning my payment. (Still waiting). So now, hopefully the other seller doesn't do the same thing, but I have lost the $10 voucher from ebay to use on this new seller.  Not happy.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I am no sure how you could pay for an item that was out of stock.

If the item was on your watch list for some time you should have checked that it was still available.

The vouchers are only available for the one purchase....not sure why you should be upset about it.

As for the refund.....when and how did you pay for the item?   There should not be any great delay once the seller has promised to refund.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I guess I am a bit harder on the seller.

I'm the first to admit I am no expert so could have this wrong, but when I have things saved in the watch section of my ebay, the ads will show changes. So for example, if an item goes out of stock, it will show that. It will show when an ad has ended too.

And when I click on any ad saved in my watch list, it opens to the current version of the ad, with current ETA etc

So what I suspect may have happened here is icequeen was able to buy because the ad wasn't showing as out of stock at all, it is only after the sale the seller has come back to her to tell her that. Moreover, the seller is saying it has been out of stock for weeks, so I am puzzled as to why the ad was even still running.

I don't think it should be up to a buyer to check if something is still in stock if the item has been in their watch list and is showing as still available. I've never struck such a glitch anyway.

And if the seller has had time to message the buyer about the item being out of stock, then the message should have been they had refunded the money, not they 'will refund'.

I can understand icequeen's disappointment too, to use their $10 voucher and now they can't use it again towards whatever they want to purchase, but I can understand the logistics of the situation, it would be complicated to try to reimburse people with new vouchers if things go wrong and the use by date would often have passed anyway.

icequeen, I doubt the second seller will do the same thing. You should be right. Fingers crossed.

PS I don't know the answer to this, never having been in this position, but the refund, it won't be for the full amount, will it? It will be for the amount minus the $10 the voucher covered?

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I just cannot see how the sale would have gone through if the item was out of stock.

There must be more to it than the OP has told us.

I would like the OP to post the item number so we can see the listing.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

If the seller still had the item listed with at least one available, but discovered after the sale that they were out of stock, that would explain it.
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

But the seller told the OP that it had been out of stock for some time.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Yes, but they may have been slack in not checking or updating their listings.

Especially as they replied to the OP's original offer without mentioning they were out of stock.
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

But the seller told the OP that it had been out of stock for some time.

Yes, that is the part where I lost a bit of sympathy with this seller as the ad should not have still been up there. Icequeen also said she messaged the seller to ask about best price and shipping. Both sellers she asked replied it was their best price.

So it is sounding as if the seller wasn't on the ball as you'd think the reply from this one would have been it was not available. It sounds as if they didn't realise it was sold out till after the sale.

PS I am obviously a slow typer. My thoughts exactly, world of stamps!

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply