Can I withdraw my feedback?

ms_maud
Community Member
I'd like to suggest that receiving feedback is tied to giving it, and that when you receive feedback on a transaction, if you don't provide it within say a seven day period the feedback you have received 'expires' and comes off your account - as an incentive for traders who don't operate within the spirit of the exchange. I'm sick of dealing with people who benefit from my feedback and don't give it in return. I'd like to know if I can remove feedback for my most recent purchase, because despite paying immediately and communicating clearly and positively with the seller I've yet to receive feedback from them after a week.
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

??

your history shows you have left 63fb and received 65fb so I dont get your ''complaint''

fb is voluntary,

fb for sellers assists other buyers to gauge a seller performance

fb for buyers is useless, only shows how many items they've bought.

dont leave fb if you dont want to... no big deal.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I'd like to suggest that receiving feedback is tied to giving it,

And just who is meant to leave it first? Logic dictates that it should be the buyer but as it is entirely voluntary logic doesn't come into it.

Why are you so hung up on feedback? I use ebay to buy and sell items, I don't do it to collect coloured dots on my computer screen.

Wouldn't even know how many I had on my buying ids and could only make a guess at how many I have on my selling ids as it is not something I take note of.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

@ms_maud wrote:
I'd like to suggest that receiving feedback is tied to giving it, and that when you receive feedback on a transaction, if you don't provide it within say a seven day period the feedback you have received 'expires' and comes off your account - as an incentive for traders who don't operate within the spirit of the exchange. 

Receiving feedback can be tied to giving it. That is, since it's completely voluntary and it's up to each individual member if / when they leave it, a member is free to decide not to leave any unless they receive it first.

The only other thing I would like to note is that the way you view the feedback system is not necessarily the same way other people view the feedback system, but feedback is never "owed" to anyone due to it being voluntary. It's a bit like charity donations - I make them sometimes, and even though it's a small gesture in the grand scheme of things, I know it's appreciated and it contributes positively to something.

But at the same time, I resent the collectors who accost me outside of supermarkets and try to tell me I should be giving them $30 a month indefinitely because it works out to be less than $1 a day and who can't afford to spare that? 

Voluntary means letting each person decide on their own course of action, not obliging them to do what other people want them to. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@ms_maud wrote:
I'd like to suggest that receiving feedback is tied to giving it, and that when you receive feedback on a transaction, if you don't provide it within say a seven day period the feedback you have received 'expires' and comes off your account

first up, I will acknowledge that you have posted to gather other member opinions and suggestions and that this idea of yours is in its infancy.

The reason I say this is that scammers and con-artists would love it if eBay implemented your idea as you have put it in your opening post.  If a selling scammer receives a negative from a disgruntled buyer then under your idea all the scammer would need to do is wait 7 days and the negative would 'expire' and be gone from their feedback record.

Now I know that this scenario isn't what you had planned for your idea, but, if a seller got a positive from a buyer and that positive simply said "OK" then the seller may feel that this is not a good enough feedback and may cause others to wonder why such a feedback was left, so they let the 7 days go by and it is then gone.

There are many other scenarios that I could post about that would show up some flaws in what you have suggested, but I am time poor at the moment so I will leave it at the two that are above.

My own view, do away with buyer feedback comments and ratings as those that are 'buyers only' can only get positives anyway.  Maybe introduce a transaction count with no comments.  There will be problems with such a simplistic system, but this idea is just in its infancy.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Actually I messaged to get a reply from eBay themselves, not from other members.
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@ms_maud wrote:
Actually I messaged to get a reply from eBay themselves, not from other members.

you will probably find that you will get more genuine responses from other members than from eBay themselves as the responses I have received from eBay usually come via email and are 'standard' responses, rather like form letters.

oh well, just ignore the response I gave (doesn't change the validity of the post I made though).

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@ms_maud wrote:

hello,

In that case,

You have posted on a member chat board. It is doubtful that eBay even read these boards as they are moderated by an outside entity (Lithium). We are all members here, just like you.

If you would like to bring this to the attention of eBay, it is probably best that you contact them through the tab to the top right of your screen called "Customer Support". Just follow the links and tabs and you will eventually get to a number of contact options from which you may select.

Alternatiovely, right down the bottom of most, if not all pages, is a link called "Tell Us What You Think" I assume the "us" is eBay, although as I have never used that option, I cannot be positive.

Best of Luck,

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@ms_maud wrote:

If you want ebay to reply to your suggestion you have posted in the wrong place.  Ebay does not read these boards and certainly does not answer anything posted here.

Try the "Tell us what you think" link at the bottom of the page, but I don't think your idea will be very well received for all the reasons mentioned by other posters here.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay do read threads and posts if you reference the discussion thread topic and date started in your correspondence to them via any link, email or identify in a phone conversation.
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply