Can malicious sellers avoid due reimbursements, leaving buyers out of pocket?

If a seller creates an ebay account and an empty paypal account then proceeds to scam a buyer by not sending an item can the seller avoid reinbursment by spending or transferring the funds they have scammed thereby having no funds to reinburse the dispute?

If Ebay can't source the funds from the seller to reimburse the buyer is the buyer not reinbursed at all?

Thanks, any information is appreciated.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Can malicious sellers avoid due reimbursements, leaving buyers out of pocket?

@4channel wrote:

There's nothing wrong with my answer padi*0409? and respectfully I say to you that you do not get to decide what gets said here. Everyone has the right to give an answer and if it broadens a subject then even better. I did answer the seller to say that this is possible as well.

Your answer didn't relate to the question. Padi's did. And it didn't broaden the subject, as it had nothing to do with the subject. The non-CS boards generally consist of 'question' then possible answer. Your post doesn't actually provide an answer. Ergo...

Maybe go back to play in CS...

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

Re: Can malicious sellers avoid due reimbursements, leaving buyers out of pocket?

@4channel wrote:

There's nothing wrong with my answer padi*0409? and respectfully I say to you that you do not get to decide what gets said here. Everyone has the right to give an answer and if it broadens a subject then even better. I did answer the seller to say that this is possible as well.

Maybe you should read up on content policies for the boards 4channel.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/community-content-policy?id=4265

In particular this bit :-

Capture.PNG

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

@run-away3 wrote:

If a seller creates an ebay account and an empty paypal account then proceeds to scam a buyer by not sending an item can the seller avoid reinbursment by spending or transferring the funds they have scammed thereby having no funds to reinburse the dispute?

If Ebay can't source the funds from the seller to reimburse the buyer is the buyer not reinbursed at all?

Thanks, any information is appreciated.

My understanding is that a person with a new ebay account has their payments from any sales on hold for 21 days.

That would mean in most cases that whatever they sold should have had plenty of time to arrive. I believe that if a buyer gives positive feedback or the seller can show tracking proof that something has been delivered, they might apply for the funds to be released earlier. A scammer though would not be able to show that proof.

In fact, if someone paid for an item and it had not arrived after 21 days, they may even open an item not received claim and if they did that, I doubt the funds would be released even after 21 days.

I suppose it is very possible that a buyer might be a bit slow to open a claim as some sellers have been known to string buyers along with false promises. In that case the funds might be released after 21 days and the seller may transfer the funds out of paypal. I think in that case, paypal would have to honour the buyer's claim and reimburse out of their own funds, but they certainly would not like that.

It has probably happened, but how far they pursue it with debt collectors etc I do not know. I wouldn't like to test it though as I think they would pursue debts. They have the money behind them to be able to do that.

I don't think emptying a paypal account would be a reliable scam as such, certainly not one that would work for long anyway. A better one would be to persuade people to pay into bank accounts, rather than use paypal.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

4 channel  was on the topic  disscussed here....so give it a rest

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

Sorry but 4 channel was not on topic.....his answer has not got anything to do with the question.

It is not the aim of these boards to increase the scope of a discussion.

The aim is to answer questions as accurately and succinctly as possible and as quickly as possible as many questions have time sensitive solutions.

The place for wide ranging discussions that can go off at a tangent is Community Spirit, not the Buying and Selling Boards.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Sorry but 4 channel was not on topic.....his answer has not got anything to do with the question.

It is not the aim of these boards to increase the scope of a discussion.

The aim is to answer questions as accurately and succinctly as possible and as quickly as possible as many questions have time sensitive solutions.

The place for wide ranging discussions that can go off at a tangent is Community Spirit, not the Buying and Selling Boards.

Excuse me lyndal1838 but my post was to do with what the OP posted.  It's incorrect and misleading for you to say otherwise.

@run-away3 wrote:

If a seller creates an ebay account and an empty paypal account then proceeds to scam a buyer by not sending an item

As you can see the OP was talking about scammers creating an eBay account and not sending an item. This is exactly what I had witnessed and reported to eBay the excesses of 10 bogus day or so old accounts with identical pics. I gave an example of that.

I also bumped up the post as it hadn't been replied to for some time.

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

As you can see the OP was talking about scammers creating an eBay account and not sending an item. This is exactly what I had witnessed and reported to eBay the excesses of 10 bogus day or so old accounts with identical pics. I gave an example of that.

Nope, you were talking about accounts that you had reported to eBay who subsequently shut them down, which was not an answer to the OP's question about whether they would get reimbursed if the seller didn't send the item in question.

I also bumped up the post as it hadn't been replied to for some time.

Really ?  The OP posted at 8.18pm your first reply was at 8.31pm with furthur posts at 9.10pm, 9.24pm and 9.49pm. 4 posts in a little over an hour and a half from when the thread was started.

You have pulled up members in the past for going off-topic so it's really a pot/kettle situation 4channel.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

You're just saying the same thing but in a different way padi. Variations on a theme. Not really making the point which you can't anyway. Sorry to say.

BTW: My post was about the subject the OP brought in here and was in support.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

You're just saying the same thing but in a different way padi. Variations on a theme. Not really making the point which you can't anyway. Sorry to say.

The salient point is that I answered the OP's question, you did not.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply