Change in description and image after purchase

nt3788
Community Member

Mid July I ordered items that were described as ''washable and reusable''. Early August I ordered more of the same from the same supplier only to find on receipt that the items are NOT 'washable and reusable'.  When returning to July purchase history the iamge has been changes and the description now does not have the 'wasahable and reusable' desciptor.  While the items are still usable they no longer have the same value to me. Also I have listed on my system a black mark against the seller as unreliable and fraudulant and will never purchase from them again.  Are there laws or rules about such negative behaviour?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There is nothing stopping a seller from changing the description of the item.

Did you read the current details before ordering?

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

As Lyndal has pointed out, the seller can update the listing as they see fit. If you view the listing description, near the top you should see the option to view what and when any updates were made to it ('View all revisions').

Are they items that you received different between the two orders?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

So it seems it's the seller's fault that you can't read before purchasing?

And you're asking about rules about negative behaviour?

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

When the Seller changes a listing, and you view the listing via your purchase history, then it should say something like "the listing has been changed, but you can still see the item you bought" so you should be able to view the original listing.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

As all mentioned above already

and to add, sellers can also put a black mark against buyers who they will never sell to/again

Welcome to many such party list, I suspect 

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@nt3788 wrote:

Mid July I ordered items that were described as ''washable and reusable''. Early August I ordered more of the same from the same supplier only to find on receipt that the items are NOT 'washable and reusable'.  When returning to July purchase history the iamge has been changes and the description now does not have the 'wasahable and reusable' desciptor.  While the items are still usable they no longer have the same value to me. Also I have listed on my system a black mark against the seller as unreliable and fraudulant and will never purchase from them again.  Are there laws or rules about such negative behaviour?

The highlighted bit intrigues me. Usually I have found that when I buy something, even if the current ads for that item have been updated, the purchase history can still eventually take me to the original ad I bought from. The one that has the original delivery dates and so on.

What exactly is your problem?

Are the original items you purchased in July washable and reusable?

If they are, then you got what you paid for and if you bought items at a later date, expecting they were identical but it turned out the ad was slightly different and you hadn't picked that up, then it is unfortunate but that second purchase was your error.

I can see why you would be annoyed as you'd expect an ad that looked identical in almost every way to be for the identical product, but things do change over time so that second purchase would be on you.

To be quite honest though, this aspect of the story does concern me as although I know specifications do change, it seems odd to me that an identical item in a seller's range would suddenly have the washable/reusable description deleted in a matter of weeks. I strongly suspect the product has not changed, so I am wondering if maybe the seller has copped trouble with the item from other buyers, who have said it doesn't wash well or whatever.

By taking that part of the description out, the seller is covering himself against some possible claims.

On the other hand, if your problem is the original items are not as described and are not washable and reusable, that is a different story and you would need to open an item not as described claim with ebay.

I'd definitely be giving the original items a wash asap to see that they do live up to their claims.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply