Changes to Search Function are Unhelpful

The old scenario: You were searching in a category and you changed the search terms, say from "coffee machine" to "espresso machine". The category and the sorting would remain the same and off you went.

The new scenario: If you change the search terms, the category reverts to "All Categories" and the sorting changes to "Best Match". You need to manually reset these before you proceed.

There's quite a variation between different eBay sites and sometimes the system changes from one day to the next. On the US site, sorting reverts to Best Match but you stay within the category. On the UK site you remain on, say, "Newly Listed" and your category doesn't change when you enter new search terms. This is by far my preferred setup.

Does anyone else miss the old way of searching?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I generally only encounter those issues if I'm not logged in, or I search using the app. If you're using the full site, it should stay as your preferred search if you change the settings. Click on the box next to view, then select customise. That *should* keep your preferred settings as far as whether it's set to best match, ending soonest, or price lowest.

If you use the app, then it will default back every....single....time....and it's really annoying!

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Does anyone else miss the old way of searching?

I definitely do. The constant fiddling with this important function has resulted in a very complicated mess. It is no wonder many sellers are scratching their heads trying to work out why sales are down. Looking for items often brings up some items but not all. It is now a very frustrating experience searching for items. If a viable competitor arrived on the scene with some common sense Ebay would probably collapse.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

If you're using the full site, it should stay as your preferred search if you change the settings. Click on the box next to view, then select customise...

Thanks t*t. I reset it to Newly Listed and it appears to be sticking.

I can't see any way of changing settings so it remains wthin the same category, as it used to do. This can be particularly annoying if you're working through a sub-category. When the system defaults to All Categories you can't reselect a sub from a drop down menu.

Like you, I'm unimpressed by the app.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

"Newly listed" usually sticks for me.

My real gripe with search is it defaulting to a specific category based on my search term, rather than staying at "All Categories". For example, if I enter a search on "16mm film", it displays all listings in the "Film Stock" category, which I haven't asked it to do. If I search on "TV Week", it defaults to searching in "Magazines".

those two examples will very often be listed under categories such as "Collectibles"

Not everyone lists in the precise category eBay thinks is correct for the item they're listing - those two examples will very often be listed under categories such as "Collectibles" or "Film & TV memorabilia" - and Search defaulting to that specific category rather than staying at "All Categories" means that anyone who isn't keeping a close eye on things can miss out on items they're searching for.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Yes the search function in now totally stuffed.  If I search for a term within a category I can choose location and other filters.  However once I try to search a category generally (eg for latest listed) it reverts to a generalised list of everywhere,  So if I am trying to search for latest listed antiques (or antique furniture) I get to see the latest in the US and UK, when all I want to know is what is in Australia or my own state. It does not allow filtering at the higher level. 

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Read the posts about this in 'Technical issues'

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

If you use the app, then it will default back every....single....time....and it's really annoying!

The app now has lockable filters; once you have enabled that under Customization, you can set your defaults as desired.

It is even possible to set a default Item location filter -- something not easily done using the desktop site (thought there is a third-party browser extension that can enable that).

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

The search algorithm in 2021 has certainly changed to the one back in 2018 when this thread started. You better get on to eBay technical to let them know it's still stuffed...
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply