Changing Expected delivery date and other annoying eBay problems

I'm waiting on a pair of earrings from Korea that I ordered on the 12th November! I buy quite a few things on eBay and i know that the expected date on this item has been changed. It now shows as 6 Jan.

2 months to send and receive a pair of earrings???? How is it coming? By pigeon?

Sellers always blame shipping, or Australia Post, yet I can order an item 2 weeks ago from Hong Kong and get it in 10 days, so mail is clearly not being held up at this end.

I emailed eBay about this changing date. They say that there is no way sellers can change the estimated date as it is based on mailing standards to Australia etc. What they didnt say was that this expected date is controlled by eBay itself and it changes daily based on mail and shipping information. Its fine in theory save for a couple of things.

1) They have altered my contract with the seller without notifying me and without my permission.

2) It prevents me from opening a case for a refund until after the 6th of Jan.

3) Given that this date is changed daily it is feasible that a case will never be able to be opened since the date just gets changed and changed and changed.

The other big thing they need to investigate is sellers trying to blackmail the buyers into leaving positive feedback or changing negative feedback in order to receive a refund. I have had a couple of Chinese sellers say that they will refund me if I change my negative feedback. I wont do it because other buyers should see the real story of the seller.  I I actually had one seller who sent me the wrong sized item ask me to accept 25% of the price of the time plus an extra 1 Euro if I changed my negative feedback!!!!!! In the case In these cases I just open a refund case through either eBay or Paypal  but constantly changing the expected date means that cases cant be opened until it expires, and if they change it every day it may never expire on item not received cases.

eBay's standards are really slipping now.They have become lazy and greedy. Why do we buyers have to point out to them that a seller suddenly has XX negative feedback comments on their account and that they should be investigated? I did this on a missing item I had.

Why can sellers offer you a small percentage of the purchase price as a refund when they screw up and send the wrong item or wrong size?

Why does the buyer have to pay for return postage up front and then try to recoup the cost of the postage from the seller? To me thats crazy. I return an item to the seller which means that I have paid for something I no longer have and have paid postage to return the item that they screwed up in the first place. So I have paid 2 lots of postage and paid for the item and now have no item and no bargaining power. The seller can merely ignore your refund requests or string you along until the date to claim a paypal refund has passed. Why wouldnt they? They have your money and the item, and negative feedback appears to mean nothing to eBay.

Lift your game eBay.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

OP,

Just glanced quickly through your f/back left for other people - and saw that you put incredible amount of detail in your f/back!

Shame that you waste so much of your time, as no one is interested much, nor reading it, nor taking even a slightest notice of it.

And you had a pseudo complaint about most of them!

This was late, that was not what you expected, wrong colour, wrong size - it just goes on and on - endlessly.

So what if you have to wait a bit longer - no need to announce it to the world with just about every purchase - how on Earth can seller help that?

The problem is that you are critisizing the seller - not Ebay - so quit doing it.

Also, remember, that most overseas (Asian) sellers don't post stuff straight away in order to offer free postage or very cheap postage, it waits til there is a container full. 

Otherwise, you can have it  sent by EMS, gets here in 3 days - but it's expencive and you have to request it and pay for it once they amend the invoice.

Lastly, if you buy cheaper items - do not expect anyone to drop everything and run around you - you get the same treatment in cheap stores here - no one to help, assist, ask questions. from, carry your parcels to the car.

Far cry from designer stores where you sit down and have coffee, champagne etc - and they remeber your name!

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Are you looking at the original listing when you see the change in estimated delivery dates?

What you see is the estimated date of delivery of an item bought now, not the item you bought weeks ago.

If your item is overdue according to the estimated date when you actually made your purchase go to your paypal account and open a dispute now.  You do not have to wait for anything as you do with an ebay dispute.

You do know that ebay does not read the boards, don't you?   All your complaints are falling on deaf ears as far as ebay is concerned.

The volunteer members here cannot do anything about your misconceptions.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Yes I agree that is a Woman Tongue long wait.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

@crammondmusic wrote:

Sellers always blame shipping, or Australia Post, yet I can order an item 2 weeks ago from Hong Kong and get it in 10 days, so mail is clearly not being held up at this end.

1) They have altered my contract with the seller without notifying me and without my permission.

Why can sellers offer you a small percentage of the purchase price as a refund when they screw up and send the wrong item or wrong size?

I can understand some of your frustrations, but (as has already been mentioned), the ETA doesn't (or at least shouldn't) change once payment is made - it will continually update if you look at the original listing, because that only shows you the ETA if you buy it there and then, but the date in your order details (via purchase history) should remain the same, but I've left the above quotes there as they're the main things I wanted to respond to...

Sellers "blame" the postal system because the postal system is more often the reason for fluctuating transit and delivery times. There is more than one service available from countries like China, and not all sellers will use the faster methods. Some will actually ship all orders via Singapore post for even cheaper rates, and that can take up to 8 weeks from postage (in other words, two packages physically shipped on the same day via different methods, can arrive weeks apart. Sometimes even if they were shipped by the same method). 

It's the same thing when I ship internationally - I have 3 options via Australia Post; economy, standard and express. If I want to provide my customers with an even cheaper rate than an economy parcel, I could ship via a company like Skippy Post instead, and add up to 3 weeks to the delivery time in the process (they, too, send off shipments via Singapore Post). Add to that varying processing times in customs, and eBay's ETA is little more than a rough guideline, often not even based in reality.

It definitely isn't a contract term, so even if the ETA has changed, it's not an alteration of the sale contract. The seller doesn't put the ETAs on listings, eBay do, so it's as much a part of a contract with the seller as any other kind of slogan eBay take upon themselves to slap on to a listing. (i.e. none).

Re: sellers offering a small percentage of the item as a refund - ideally that would be one of several options to resolve the issue. Basically it's an offer to keep the item you did get at a discounted price, sometimes that's the most workable and efficient option, depending on how much use the received item has to the buyer I suppose - there's absolutely nothing that can (or should) stop a seller from providing that as an option, but the most important thing is that it shouldn't be the only option they're prepared to provide, and it doesn't have to be accepted. 

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Happened to me now twice out of the last 3 purchaes..

Poor form......

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

What happened to you?

If you have had the same experience as the OP in every respect?

Have you read the answers.....and did any of them help you?

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Some sellers manipulate the delivery date on purpose to get sales then change the delivery date to prevent a refund request.

I have had a seller advertise that the goods are held locally and quote 5 days on shipping.  Once I purchase the item, the seller changes the expected delivery date to 1+ month because the item is actually coming from China not local.  I can't put in a request for refund until after the shipping date has expired.  Two months down the track the seller changes the estimated shipping date again. This may go on forever.  It is a pretty big loophole.  Puts buyers off buying on Ebay. 

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

1. You've replied to a comment that's over three years old.

2. What you've described with a seller repeatedly altering the shipping date post-sale cannot actually happen.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

You are, of course, aware of the pandemic thingy happening at this time.

Whilst I understand you think it's unfair and shouldn't apply to you, said pandemic thingy has severely disrupted society. Including postage even within Australia.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply