Combined postage vs Free postage

eBay's inclusion of postage in calculating fees has prompted an increase in 'free postage' listings. This acts against the interest of both buyer and seller.

I frequently buy books on eBay, and have often chosen to make multiple purchase from a single seller because of the savings from combined postage. I do the sums, and if they don't work out, I don't choose the 'free postage' seller. Sorry, mate. It's your own fault.

Case in point: I've been considering a series of 6 non-fiction books from a certain seller. Two weeks ago, the price was $59 for the books, and combined postage would have been about $13 for a 3kg satchel  (total $72) instead of the 5 x $5.95 listed postages. Combined postage would have been about 22% of the books' value. Today the same books are listed with 'free postage' for a combined total of $95. if the 'real book' component of the $95 is still $59, that's $36 for postage, or $6 per book, or 61% of the books' value.

Guess what? I'm not buying them.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Combined postage vs Free postage

I have 'free' postage on my large letter items as it's usually always only $1.40 (occasionally 70c) and charged postage on parcels. I did try the free postage on parcel items, with the postage cost incorporated into the price, and sold nothing. As soon as I reduced the price and started charging for postage, I started selling them.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

I have recently changed to free listing for convenience. As previous person said, this is best for items that can be sent as a letter. Combining this sized item often leads to a parcel price which is often more expensive than sending items seperately as letters. I would much prefer to list without free postage as then I can list many 'cheaper' books in the hope that people will combine them. For an occasional seller like me, the cost of a 3kg satchel is $13.40. If people buy a $5 book and claim they have not received the parcel then I have lost not just the book but $13.40 of postage. Therefore, registration is more-or-less essential on any parcels. However on a low-cost book people do not want to pay postage that is 3-4 times cost of book. On a $20+ book I factor registration into cost of book since it is then worth it. eBay  then charge 10% on the total package including the postage. So $13.40 (post) + $3.10 (reg) + $1.65 extra commision for eBay = $18.15. True businesses can do better prices because they self-insure against loss and get good postage discounts for buying materials in bulk.

Australia Post combined with eBay have diminished the pleasure of both buying and selling on eBay. We all lose because I cannot list many books that individually are a bargain but become expensive with the added postage.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Or you could look at it the other way that the sellers price on these books have gone up due to their value,personally I think that this seller has just cut his own throat so to speak and should have just added the $13 that it would have cost for combining or a few dollars more and maybe they might be able to sell them.

But OP I'm sure there will be many potential buyers unfortunately out there unaware of this so will think that it's a great deal.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Can I list some items free postage, that which I most want to sell, quote a flat rate postage for other items including loss leaders, and combine the postage if buyers buy the free postage items ( I doubt if they would buy more than one of these ) ? My set flat rate $11 in Australia, $39 overseas... The main disposal sale free postage lots, $65 to Australia, $93 overseas, or 2nd grade $35 to Australia, $63 overseas. I want the other listings ( not free postage ) to be combinable to the free postage purchase.
Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

The main items, stamps, catalogue value ยฃ188 per packet 11 types, so many of the same stockpiled by granddad.
Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

Instead of dragging up a 6yo thread on the buyer's forum, I suggest starting a new post on the seller's forum. There you will get lots of help and advice from experienced sellers. I look forward to seeing your post there.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Thank You. May test the combined postage anyway, just overprice the goods.
Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

Your choice. Don't be upset when your sales dwindle because buyers see you as overpriced.

The point is to target your audience. And spend some time working out what works for you and said audience.

'Free' post might work for some, postage as an extra line item might work for others.

I use 'free' postage for items that can go as a letter. There is minimal scope for combining with those, as multiples kick up to a parcel anyway. Unless they buy at least 4. Then I refund the difference.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply