Combined shipping request

dunk_c
Community Member

Why is it that I have to commit to buy from a seller BEFORE they tell me the combined shipping total? How is this standard commercial behavior!

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The reason why they ask buyers to commit to buy is that the seller cannot send them a combined postage invoice if they don't commit to buy - because basically that's what it is (they send you an invoice when you click on "request total").

If you have a question about how much it is before buying, you just ask the seller. Maybe it is not expressed very well, but "request total" basically means "send me a combined postage invoice", that's why you have to commit to buy.

(No, eBay representatives don't read here,)

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

You can contact the seller before requesting a total from your cart and committing to buy. I have done it many times when I was not sure how much it would be.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

maybe, they'd like to give you a discount.....depending on how much/many you buy???

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

dunk_c
Community Member

My point is that you have to COMMIT TO BUY before knowing what the total cost would be

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I ask sellers how much it will be in a message, and if I agree I add the items to my cart and officially request a total (and yes, I commit to buy).

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks but this not the way eBay is set up to work.  I have done what you suggest before but there is a dedicated mechanisms in the cart to request the total.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I offer combined postage......if a buyer messages me with the items they want to purchase & ask for cost, I will give them a combined postage total....will your seller not do that??

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

dunk_c
Community Member

Sorry everyone, I am hoping to get a response from eBay technical support about this.  Do they monitor this forum!

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Nobody from ebay reads the forum (including anyone from tech support, despite the blurb that goes around about them 'checking for issues)

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

The reason why they ask buyers to commit to buy is that the seller cannot send them a combined postage invoice if they don't commit to buy - because basically that's what it is (they send you an invoice when you click on "request total").

If you have a question about how much it is before buying, you just ask the seller. Maybe it is not expressed very well, but "request total" basically means "send me a combined postage invoice", that's why you have to commit to buy.

(No, eBay representatives don't read here,)

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply