Could this be shill bidding?

Hi all, was bidding on an item and won it, but minutes before the auction ended, there were bid retractions made from a ''buyer'' who has 87% with the seller for the last 6 months. The total feedback score for the seller is around 60 positive, with only 20 for the last 6 months. Which means to me, that almost everything this seller had listed for the last 6 months, was bid on by this same ''buyer''?

I had my maximum bid in place days before, so it appears as though I was been pushed up the ladder by someone.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Sounds like shill bidding because you say the bid retractions happened minutes before the end of the auction which is only possible if the seller retracts the bids as a bidder can't retract with less than an hour to go.

So to me it looks like the seller and that bidder are in on it but the seller is actually doing the shilling in your case anyway.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

I meant to add, for the last 6 months the same bidder has had 6 bid retractions with this same seller. Pretty easy way to come unstuck. Will wait for the item to arrive, and in the described condition, then I will decide my next move.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

There is nothing you can do about it I mean the shilling,and you shouldn't judge the item due to the shilling either.

So your next move should just be according to ebay's policies that's all.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Yes, I intend to follow the rules. IMO, and that is just that,IMO, anyone caught red handed should be forced to refund the difference of what I ended up paying, to what I should have paid if I wasn't pushed upward. In other words, back to the last legitimate bid. If not, why not?

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Going by how many have suspected sellers shilling ebay has done nothing about it.

I have reported shilling many times and nothing has happened to those sellers.

So catching them red handed will be quite difficult if ebay don't care.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

So catching them red handed will be quite difficult if ebay don't care.

The best I've seen then do over the years crow is to stop the sellers running auctions for a month.

Yeah right, that'll stop 'em.....................original.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I'm not saying it's not shilling, but maybe the seller has a pest buyer and doesn't know how to block them from bidding, but does know how to cancel bids and waits till just before the end of the auction so that person doesn't have much time to bid again. Unlikely, but always possible.
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

@audistarelectronics wrote:

Yes, I intend to follow the rules. IMO, and that is just that,IMO, anyone caught red handed should be forced to refund the difference of what I ended up paying, to what I should have paid if I wasn't pushed upward. In other words, back to the last legitimate bid. If not, why not?

I agree with you that if it has been shill bidding, your bid has been forced up higher than it should have been.

It's not always easy to prove shilling but there is one way that it could be reduced.

My own belief is if a bidder retracts a leading bid on an item, and does not replace it with another leading bid,  then ALL their previous bids on that item should be removed.

There are circumstances where a person might want to retract a bid eg if they had typed in $1000 instead of $100, but if their bid is the leading one, they can clearly see what the second highest bid is so if they are genuine they can still change their bid down but stay in the lead.

But audistar, you are not without power here. If you strongly suspect you've been a victim of shilling, don't pay. I'd message the seller and say you're not happy, you suspect shilling, which is dishonest.

They can hit you with an unpaid strike, you can protest it & you may or may not win but if you get a strike so what. On ebay it can only affect you if you get 2 of them in a 6 month period so if you have no others, it is not going to matter in the least.

Normally, I think people should not bid unless they are prepared to pay, but that does not extend to sales where you feel you are the victim of dishonest practices.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

The other way around it is to bid in the last few seconds. Then the shill account doesn't have time to bump the price up and then retract a bid. 

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply