Counterfeit non-genuine goods - DO35 Coupling

bernie4634
Community Member

Ebay needs to be far more diligent and proactive with implementing their counterfeit goods policy.

I recently purchased a supposed Cruisemaster DO35 offroad coupling (hitch) for trailer or caravan. When the item was received, I then realised it was most likely non-genuine or counterfeit which Cruisemaster themselves confirmed. I spoke with an ebay representative regards this and they assisted with initiating a return / refund request which the seller actioned immediately, refunding the purchase price in full with no requirement to return the item.

Unfortunately this dodgy DO35 item is still listed on ebay by 4 or 5 different sellers. They are all priced at $360 and many buyers may not recognise them as non-genuine. (They can be identified by a complete lack of OEM (Cruisemaster) labelling and other aspects.) Fitting such non-genuine items to trailers or caravans may void insurance claims. My main concern however is these safety critical items are likely substandard and could lead to serious accidents with fatalities should they fail. In such cases I'm sure the seller would be implicit and I believe ebay may be implicit also in facilitating the marketing of such items.

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Counterfeit non-genuine goods - DO35 Coupling

I didn't think claims that ebay Australia couldn't or wouldn't do anything about counterfeit goods on their website were correct, but who am I to question this. I'm please to say however that all the adds or listings for seemingly non-genuine items that I reported have been removed and ebay have upheld their counterfeit items policy. If such goods reappear on ebay, I will continue reporting, as any responsible individuals should do, especially for safety critical items.

Message 31 of 36
Latest reply

What was said was, eBay will not do anything about sellers registered in China 

It is not a 'claim' it is fact

Any responsible individual would not be buying such things from sellers registered in China in the first place

And if they choose to do so, they have no right to talk about safety whatsoever 

Message 32 of 36
Latest reply

Most items you buy from shops are made in China. 

Message 33 of 36
Latest reply

Most items in proper stores are not sourced from dodgy eBay sellers 

Then of course, they are genuine brands (not unbranded knock offs) and have actual warranties 

Apples and oranges, dear 

Message 34 of 36
Latest reply

There is a significant difference between goods made in China for a brand that must comply with Australian standards, and goods made in China without any compliance to Australian standards, often no genuine branding, poorest possible components made of cheapest possible raw materials that can at a glance fool the buyer, and without any quality control.

Chinese manufacture can be of a high standard, but not when churning out cheap cheap cheap knockoffs designed to be sold to dollar-foolish Australians who are regarded as easy targets for fake goods.

Message 35 of 36
Latest reply

Isn't there a bunch of these dollar stores in shopping centres around Australia. No need to wait for delivery when you can just go grab a $2 umbrella whenever you like.

Message 36 of 36
Latest reply