DON'T give me any second chance offers

TO ALL SELLERS OUT THERE.  Don't bother giving me second chance offers!  I won't ever take it up!  I will give an example of what I mean....I bid on an item that I really wanted, so put a very high bid on, and thought that no-one would outbid me....lo and behold a sniper did!  Well, the sniper didn't pay for the item, so I was offered it at MY HIGHEST BID.  The sniping doesn't worry me, nor the fact that I was outbid, what REALLY, REALLY annoys me, is that a NON-PAYING bidder can bid as high as they like, a MILLION DOLLARS  if they like, after all, they are not going to pay anyway!  So why aren't  ALL of their bids deleted when they do not pay, as if they never bid at all, and why should I pay the maximum amount I bid, instead of the amount I would have paid if they had not bid at all?  I have no way of knowing if this was SHILL bidding or not, and even if not, I consider the non-paying buyer's bids to be invalid and they should be totally removed.  So, no matter how much I wanted the item, I would NEVER EVER EVER buy it under these circumstances. It's a matter of principle.

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: DON'T give me any second chance offers

Please don't push it.

I might mention experience in shill bidding, but that would be slappable.

It's always a good idea to not comment on issues you have been guilty of yourself. Especially when you have advertised your guilt.

Message 21 of 54
Latest reply

susansuema - I said nothing of the sort!

You sure you were addressing the right person - or read my posts correctly?

Message 22 of 54
Latest reply

Dave, you will need to provide that advertised info, because you either have the wrong person or are totally mis-informed.

Send it to me in personal message please.

Not only have I never even contemplated the notion of shilling, I have never told a fib, said anything bad to anyone, nor ever used a single swear word, so forget anything beyond that, especially something as what I consider fraudulent as shilling.

image host
Message 23 of 54
Latest reply

This thread is becoming interpersonal and hostile, and going off on a tangent.

I remind everyone of EBay's policies on discussion boards:

Posting disruptive or hostile comments, including interpersonal disputes is a breach.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/everyone-boards.html

Can you all return to the topic without making accusations?

Failure to do so will result in warnings to offenders.

Message 24 of 54
Latest reply

Sorry James. I probably didn't put it clearly. I don't mean the seller necessarily did the counter bidding.

But sometimes you get what i would call nuisance bidders or trouble making bidders, who put in bids and they are not genuine about buying.

As I explained, it happened to me where someone got into a bid/counterbid scenario, but then when I stopped, they withdrew their last bid over 24 hours later. They cited the bid as a mistake but didn't correct that mistake and as it was only a dollar or two above my bid, it was no mistake, it had been a deliberate bid. So obviously they had a change of mind.

Now if ebay is happy to accept that, well, then in my opinion how can ebay claim all their previous bids were genuine?

In a case where there were only 2 bidders and one withdraws at the end when they are winning, then I think their genuine intentions are doubtful.

Mind you, that isn't quite the same thing as a second chance offer. I have accepted several second chance offers and I am quite happy to receive them, but the difference there is I can choose to buy or not buy as I please, whereas when another bidder does the counterbidding thing and then withdraws when they are left holding the baby (or dress, or shoes or whatever the case may be), it is awfully confusing because people don't always go back to look at auctions where they were outbid and remained outbid for  days later.

Message 25 of 54
Latest reply

Hi eBayers,

Never Ever take 2nd Chance Offers. Many Many times this can be Shill Bidding. I would never take the chance, just have your site set on  No 2nd Chance Offers.

Message 26 of 54
Latest reply

The whole point is that if you want to avoid shill bidders then you only need to bid in the last ten seconds of an

auction.

The seller doesn't want to win the auction so they wont bid in that time so if you get out bid it will be by a genuine

bidder,(who could have placed their bid at any time).

If you then get a SCO then it's up to you whether you want to accept it or not,(after all you did bid up to your

maximum amount that you wanted to spend).

Buyers who accept SCO are happy with their purchase as it was what they where after and they got it for

the price that they where willing to spend.

So IMHO auctions and SCO do have their place on this site and if you follow these ^ simple steps there shouldn't be

a problem,ok.gif

Message 27 of 54
Latest reply

Sorry, kopes. Wrong bloke. It wasn't you.

Message 28 of 54
Latest reply

No problem, thanks for replying and clearing it up. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 29 of 54
Latest reply

In 15 years of trading I reckon my success rate for second chancers is about 5% acceptance. It's just about a waste of time despite the buyer getting the item/s for what they had  bid. Adding a photo of the actual items being offered hasnt made much difference to the acceptance - I assume in a lot of cases the buyer is refusing the 2nd chance because they think I will re-list the item at a lower price than they bid originally, either by auction or fixed price.That's ok, they're allowed to do that, but I usually re-list at a higher price than their bid and the sell rate frequently is higher than offering a 2nd chance, just more time & effort. So the battle continues.  

Message 30 of 54
Latest reply