Dealing with Auspost excess post as a buyer

Seller posts $8 free post item as large letter ($2.20). I get AusPost $9.05 excess charge card (over 20mm thick), Post Office lets me take photo to proove it is the item (no return address) and I leave it pending outcome with seller.

Contact seller, says in his T&Cs he does that and it's 'buyers risk' - LOL. Rude reply basically dont expect any refund.

Similar comments in feedback. so I guess a few get flaggedand others go through, maybe most, but still it is his responsibility to pay correct post.

So I've lodge an INR case and left the item at Post Office

Anyine done similar and what was the outcome or other suggestions for what to do?

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

that is cheeky.

So, is there a line in the T&C for the item that says he chances it with Aust Post?  I'm not saying that would make it okay, I'm just curious.

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

I don't understand how he thinks this won't come back to bite him?? Like......what is the point? 

Can you give us the item number or the number of any other item the seller has?

I hope you leave appropriate feedback, but do not mention disputes or anything that could get your comments removed.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

It is very common and very profitable. As a seller I stay away from products these sellers have as you can't get close to the price they offer. The items are usually under $10 delivered so no chance of getting close to their price. Not sure how many get delivered but must be enough for them to continue doing it.

As a buyer I have received items over 20mm and never is there a return address on the envelope so makes it impossible for Aust. Post to stop them. 

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

As a buyer I have rcvd a few over the years and must agree that they never have a return address.  I had one the other week and did as the OP and left it at the post office.  I didn't need it that badly and will find another seller.  Am happy to pay postage but not for these pirates.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

I don't understand - why AP is forwarding these underpaid items.

They are probably dropped in the box - then get forwarded - as there is no return address for underpaid postage.

Why don't they bin them - make it clear if not enough postage to begin with - they get binned - if there is no return address.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Ought to be 'auctioned off' like they used to do with stuff left on trains

Enough buyers open item not received disputes due to underpaid postage with no return address, it might make these smart a$$es think twice

If they were capable of thought in the first place 

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

@domino - Aus Post is not allowed to just bin or destroy mail. If it can't be delivered or returned, it goes to a redistribution centre where the items are opened after a period of time and any valuable contents are auctioned off.

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

My point exactly - when I say  ' binned '.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

@domino - Aus Post is not allowed to just bin or destroy mail. If it can't be delivered or returned, it goes to a redistribution centre where the items are opened after a period of time and any valuable contents are auctioned off.

No kidding. lol

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply