'Default' and 'Worldwide' Item Location search results are now Identical?

The results I get between the 'Default' item location and 'Worldwide' item location are now exactly the same.

I know that eBay actively discourages buyers from searching for products that are only located in Australia, but this is making it so embarrassingly obvious. For a lot of searches up til now, I've needed to actively change the item location to 'Australia Only'. However, there used to be a difference between the Default and the Worldwide; the Default selection must have used some kind of algorithm so that it didn't clutter up the results with absolutely every single international listing. But as of a few days ago, now it does! So now for every single search I do, I have to actively change the item location to 'Australia Only', which takes far more time and additional clicks.

eBay: Why even pretend that you're not trying to get buyers to buy internationally so you can get a greater share of fees when they do, when you've made it so blatant now that any default search conducted on eBay Australia now shows up every single listing result worldwide, without even needing to change to the 'Worldwide' item location? Some people might have a preference for this. Many, including myself, don't! The change to give eBay users a choice about what their default Item Location setting to be, would be far from a complicated change to make to the website code. The fact that they have not done so, and have now made it even worse, just appalls me further.

This change, as well as changes to saved searches highlighted elsewhere, is really becoming a death by 1000 cuts scenario for eBay here. Or at least it should be. What's most repulsive is that eBay Oz considers itself to be so ubiquitous, that it continue to gradually ruin the quality of its services for the attempted benefit to received greater fees, that it doesn't care if people are annoyed by each decision they continue to make.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@whimsycool wrote:

The results I get between the 'Default' item location and 'Worldwide' item location are now exactly the same.  

I’ve never bothered to *research the results data* before so I can’t comment on this statement. I only ever use the *Australia only* option and even that still brings up Chinese listings I need to sort through. (Sponsored) *sigh* 😒 but it’s not ruining my day. 

I know that eBay actively discourages buyers from searching for products that are only located in Australia, but this is making it so embarrassingly obvious. For a lot of searches up til now, I've needed to actively change the item location to 'Australia Only'. However, there used to be a difference between the Default and the Worldwide; the Default selection must have used some kind of algorithm so that it didn't clutter up the results with absolutely every single international listing. But as of a few days ago, now it does! So now for every single search I do, I have to actively change the item location to 'Australia Only', which takes far more time and additional clicks.

Does it though? *far more time and additional clicks?*…… how…. *time consuming* …. for all concerned 😉

eBay: they don’t read here. Why even pretend that you're not trying to get buyers to buy internationally so you can get a greater share of fees when they do, when you've made it so blatant now that any default search conducted on eBay Australia now shows up every single listing result worldwide, without even needing to change to the 'Worldwide' item location? Some people might have a preference for this. Many, including myself, don't! The change to give eBay users a choice about what their default Item Location setting to be, would be far from a complicated change to make to the website code. The fact that they have not done so, and have now made it even worse, just appalls me further.

hmmmm…..*appalls me further*….. wow, you must be really riled up about this. 

This change, as well as changes to saved searches highlighted elsewhere, is really becoming a death by 1000 cuts scenario for eBay here. Or at least it should be. What's most repulsive is that eBay Oz considers itself to be so ubiquitous, that it continue to gradually ruin the quality of its services for the attempted benefit to received greater fees, that it doesn't care if people are annoyed by each decision they continue to make.

As I’ve mentioned, eBay don’t read here.  While I can understand that you are annoyed by this, what I don’t understand is…. Why?  It’s not mandatory to use eBay. If you truly are that *appalled* then why are you still here?  I’m sure with a few extra clicks, you could find another buying/selling platform to use 😊

Good luck with your future prospects. 😎

Peace out ✌️ 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

@whimsycool wrote:

eBay: Why even pretend that you're not trying to get buyers to buy internationally so you can get a greater share of fees when they do, when you've made it so blatant now that any default search conducted on eBay Australia now shows up every single listing result worldwide, without even needing to change to the 'Worldwide' item location? Some people might have a preference for this. Many, including myself, don't! The change to give eBay users a choice about what their default Item Location setting to be, would be far from a complicated change to make to the website code. The fact that they have not done so, and have now made it even worse, just appalls me further.

WOW, that one extra click to click Australia only must be so time consuming. I'd be demanding some compensation from ebay, or at the very least, a $1,000 voucher for pain and suffering.

Sometimes I search worldwide, sometimes I search Australia. It's one simple click. Less than 1 second to be exact.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Yes, it's funny how one more click takes up too much time

But a novel long rant directed at eBay on a forum that eBay don't read is a good use of one's time and energy 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Out of interest, I checked searches for a number of items I sell and buy. These are primarily art prints and posters, a niche market. I found there were differences between the default search (best match) and worldwide.

The default search includes local plus international sellers.

Sometimes most sellers in a search are selling worldwide.

The worldwide search includes all sellers.

2 examples:

Rolling Stones poster: Australia only 40 , Default 233, Worldwide 4800+

Arctic Monkeys poster: Australia only 18, Default 61, Worldwide 364

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

What I would like is to be able to actively set my choices at least for the duration of my session.

It does get a bit annoying to tick the box for an 'Australia only' search, only to have to tick it yet again for the very next search.

Sometimes even if you do tick Australia Only, international items can show up quite high in the search results (even with some Australian items below them). Maybe a glitch, I don't know, but I have had it happen even when looking at items within a specific radius.

You and I are just two people though and what I am remembering most right now is talking to someone years ago-someone who was using ebay reasonably regularly to both buy and occasionally sell-and he had never even noticed the filters.  I don't know what device he was using, phone, ipad or whatever.

I use a computer and filters are clearly visible on the site for me.

I don't know how much the average user cares about filters, but I do suspect that people in general are doing what some boardies here have mentioned, visiting lots of other sales sites. And with the dire warnings about rising living costs, I think sales on ebay and elsewhere may drop anyway.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Even more strange, Selecting 'Worldwide' and 'lowest price plus postage' does not show many lower cost items that are visible in 'default'. This is ludicrous - I think they screwed up or there's some language issue with the dev team.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply