Delivery times

It is now hardy worth buying from Ebay sellers. Recent purchase (in Australia) ordered 13-10-21, delivery estimated late November to early January delivery. Covid is being used as an excuse!! Most sellers dont give any other option than "standard Post" .... bloody ridiculous. Going to shop locally even though it will cost more, at least I have the item quickly.

Very disappointing!!

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Delivery times

Some sellers have increased their handling time because they are afraid of delays and buyers opening cases. The other day I bought something from a seller in the same state. The estimated delivery is November 10-19 (!) because the seller says "will post within 20 business days". But the item has already been posted and according to the AusPost tracking it will arrive on Friday (although it could also arrive next week)... So you might as well get your item sooner than expected. 

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Delivery times

Thats sounds rather excessive,  are you sure they had stock, or werent overseas pretending to be in Oz.

You could always PM them and ask if they do express Post,  I don't offer it as standard,  but do get the odd one asking for it

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Delivery times

@sugar249 wrote:

Thats sounds rather excessive,  are you sure they had stock, or werent overseas pretending to be in Oz.

You could always PM them and ask if they do express Post,  I don't offer it as standard,  but do get the odd one asking for it

Australia Post aren't honouring express post at the moment, and haven't for over a year. People still pay it, but they'll tell you straight up, it's rarely going to arrive quicker than regular post. I posted an item express from regional NSW to Perth a few months back. Buyer paid for express. It took 3 weeks.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Delivery times

I wouldn't have bought that item if it had an estimated date that far off.

I'm like sugar in that I suspect it could be an item not located in Australia, despite what the ad might say.

If you bought on 13 Oct, I would expect a delivery date no more than a month out, covid or no covid.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Delivery times

Standard Post is also VERY slow at the moment so perhaps some sellers are hedging their bets.  For example I bought an item from QLD, I got a tracking number right away and AP had it in two days.   Then things went s-l-o-w.  According to tracking my parcel did a bit of a tour of QLD before making it to Sydney on 06 Oct.  It was then 'on its way' (or more likely going nowhere fast) until I got a message from AP TODAY that it was in Melbourne. From 06-14 Oct to get from Sydney to Melbourne????

it is now in Dandenong and (hopefully) will be delivered next Monday ....or possibly as late as next Thursday.

I don't think the problem is entirely with sellers!

BTW I also placed an order with a company that uses couriers.  Because not all of my order was available from my local store the order was split.  The part of the order that came from Sydney took two days.  The part of the order that was to come from the local store took 5 days- one day for every km the truck had to travel to get to my house is one way to look at it - ie a 5km trip that should have taken 15 mins max.

Delivery estimates are crazy at the moment and buyers just have to have patience.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Delivery times

@ilparpame wrote:

Covid is being used as an excuse!!

An excuse to what, exactly?

As in, what do you think Australian sellers are doing, and using covid as a cover to..."get away" with? 

Maybe it's them just taking the opportunity to be lazy, huh? Take weeks to post, play a few video games instead, ignore all frustrated buyers, lose sales, lose money when people run out of patience, totally shoot themselves in the foot for some reason and then blame it on covid. Sounds like a plan.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Delivery times

If you can buy locally, that definitely is going to be the quickest option if you can click & collect.

As for ebay, the solution is really in your own hands.

Only buy from sellers where the item's estimated delivery range suits you.

If they post quickly & pop up a tracking number, you can always give a bit of leeway if things get stuck in the post and delivery is a bit later than you expect.

But there's no need to buy from any seller who is quoting January as a delivery period. There are plenty of other fish in the ebay sea.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Delivery times

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

The part of the order that was to come from the local store took 5 days- one day for every km the truck had to travel to get to my house is one way to look at it - ie a 5km trip that should have taken 15 mins max.

LOL,  so do you think you paid for an expresss door to door service.  Most parcels would be picked up and taken to a depot for sorting, even if it had to go to the neighbours house.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Delivery times

@ilparpame wrote:

It is now hardy worth buying from Ebay sellers. Recent purchase (in Australia) ordered 13-10-21, delivery estimated late November to early January delivery. Covid is being used as an excuse!! Most sellers dont give any other option than "standard Post" .... bloody ridiculous. Going to shop locally even though it will cost more, at least I have the item quickly.

Very disappointing!!

Very few sellers would be using Covid as an excuse for their part of the process.

If you took the time to look at the tracking you would see that sellers lodge at the PO the same or next day or 2, (generally).   But once it's out of the sellers hand they have no control over the process, and then yes it is COVID that can impact.

Most sellers are doing the right thing, don't generalise

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply