Do I need to pay return postage if my item is faulty?

I bought a gaming mouse and it doesn't hold any charge. I'm deciding between between getting a full refund or a replacement (probably a refund, you see why below).

Link to it: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-4GHz-Wireless-Rechargeable-USB-Optical-Ergonomic-LED-Light-Gaming-Mous...

So far, I've contacted the seller but they are yet to response. I've read the postage and return description and it says:

" The buyer is responsible for return postage costs."

This is totally unfair, because the mouse was faulty in the first place and I still need to pay approximately $8.95 or even more for return postage (I might either reuse the original sachet or have to buy a new one from AusPost). 

In my case, am I entitled to get refunded for shipping cost from the seller, or do I have to pay for it?

Alternatively, can I use PayPal free return shipping? Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You purchased from a reputable seller, contact them with the issue before doing anything.

If it is faulty, then I should think a good seller would refund you the purchase amount plus return postage cost, but you

need to ask as I don't think they are required to do so.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

@katistrophik wrote:

If it is faulty, then I should think a good seller would refund you the purchase amount plus return postage cost, but you need to ask as I don't think they are required to do so.

Wrong. If the item is "not as described" the seller must pay for return postage.

@luihoan_0

Open a case with eBay's "money back guarantee" if you are within 30 days of the last ETA of the parcel.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Have been chatting with seller, she's really responsive and informative to me. But she haven't responses to my messages this morning so still waiting for her replies.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@luihoan_0 wrote:

So far, I've contacted the seller but they are yet to response. I've read the postage and return description and it says:

" The buyer is responsible for return postage costs."

The return policies in a listing exclusively relate to "change of mind returns"*, as it is optional whether a seller accepts those kinds of returns or not. (It is not optional whether a seller takes returns for faulty items).

It is separate to - and can have different terms / conditions from - returns when the item is faulty or otherwise not as described. 

*Change of mind returns are when there's nothing wrong with the item and it was correctly described, but you changed your mind, don't like it, you bought the wrong size, stuff like that. Some sellers will provide free returns for even change of mind, but most won't, so when you see "buyer pays return postage", it just means the seller won't pay for your return postage if you send it back for one of these kinds of reasons.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

@luihoan_0 wrote:

Have been chatting with seller, she's really responsive and informative to me. But she haven't responses to my messages this morning so still waiting for her replies.

Be very careful the seller doesn't string you along until you cannot open a case with eBay's MBG.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

If the seller has the phrase in their listing that the buyer is responsible for return postage, that is not true in the case of a faulty item, only in the case of a change of mind.

A sellers policies cannot override Ebay's.

Just open a case for Not As Described. If the seller wants it back, they will have to issue you a return label. 

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply