Dodgy dealings

Hi, first time posting here but wanted to give everyone a quick heads-up about a seller I and several others are dealing with, <Removed>

Allegedly based in Victoria, he has been selling diecast models cars. I bought an expensive one from him last week, made the payment with PayPal. He then contacted me and said he would have to cancel the order as he would only accept bank deposit.

Alarm bells start ringing as I know sellers must be able to accept PayPal and paying via bank deposit offers no protection for buyers.

He spins me a story about his PayPal account being compromised by people overseas and PayPal putting restrictions on it.

I immediately contacted PayPal, who in a nutshell said there were no restrictions and there was nothing stopping him accepting the payment and sending the model.

I put it too him and he seemed fine, all of a sudden telling me he would post the item on Thursday (yesterday) and give me a tracking number.

Well surprise, surprise, no tracking number and then a message this morning calling me a rat for questioning his PayPal claims and telling me he's cancelling the sale.

Funds have not been returned and his feedback has dropped from 100% to 80% in a couple of days. For some reason his number of feedbacks has declined also, seems strange.

Anyway, just alerting others here to steer well clear and avoid!

Best regards,
Scott

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Dodgy dealings

go-tazz
Community Member

Thanks,reported as a scam,(either the account has been hijacked or the seller has become a thief),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Dodgy dealings

No worries. I don't think his account has been hijacked as PayPal told me in a round about way, obviously not giving me any specifics, that everything was normal . Also his attitude is totally belligerent.

His message this morning was rude and bizzare and now all his auctions have disappeared.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Dodgy dealings

Maybe his account has been hijacked, but by someone known to him (who therefore has permisson to use/his details) ?

Would explain why it looks to PP to be 'normal' but the activity has suddenly changed

Although I am sure I'll be jumped on for suggesting such a thing is possible Smiley Mad  (not by you, I don't mean)

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Dodgy dealings

@shape000 wrote:

No worries. I don't think his account has been hijacked as PayPal told me in a round about way, obviously not giving me any specifics, that everything was normal .

As the last 8 feedback scores from the last 5 buyers are all negative it looks like something has happened to

the account,(hence why I reported the account).

His message this morning was rude and bizzare and now all his auctions have disappeared.

There is a problem with their account and that's why their listings have been removed,good.gif

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Dodgy dealings

He originally had 12 feedback ratings at 100% and there are now only 7 and the feedback rating has now dropped to 70%. Why has the actual number of feedbacks dropped?

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Dodgy dealings

@shape000 wrote:

For some reason his number of feedbacks has declined also, seems strange.

Negatives are -1 to an overall score, so if a seller has 10 FB and they get a neg, it will go down to 9, and so on.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Dodgy dealings

Roger, thanks.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Dodgy dealings

As far as getting my payment back, I have to go through PayPal and lodge a dispute right? I assume Ebay can't do anything.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Dodgy dealings

If it is past the last estimated delivery date on eBay (it should show you the date range on your order details), you can open an eBay Money Back Guarantee request for item not received. 

I would start with this, as eBay will look for a tracking number that shows delivered, otherwise they'll refund you in full. If, for any reason, the MBG claim is not successful, you can then try via PayPal.

Both have their pros and cons, slightly different requirements from the seller, but I suggest eBay first because you can go from an unsuccessful claim on eBay to PayPal, but you can't go from PayPal to eBay. 

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply