Does Paypal's buyer protection cover apply if the item is fake or counterfeit? Thanks

Hi.
Interested in purchasing a metal detector on Ebay.

Its an expensive brand, and there are known to be fakes on the market.

I'd like to bid, but I'd like to know whether paypals buyer protection cover will cover me in case I buy a fake/counterfeit one?
Assuming of course, that I pay with Paypal, with my registered account, in one transaction.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Does Paypal's buyer protection cover apply if the item is fake or counterfeit? Thanks

Perhaps but it certainly wouldn't be on your say so. You would have to get some sort of authority on the detectors to give paypal a letter or similar I would think.

If it were me ...........I would not buy electronics online. too much can go wrong. Even if they are legit what about returns for warranty etc. It could end up costing you and arm and a leg just returning items.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Re: Does Paypal's buyer protection cover apply if the item is fake or counterfeit? Thanks

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You will have to prove to paypal that the item is a fake.  You will have to get a statement on company letterhead from a 3rd party who is authorised to authenticate items....the agent or manufacturer or a retailer who sells the genuine item.

And you will have to do it in the space of a few days so not very good if you have to send the item away for authentication.

This is not always easy to do as most businesses can/will tell you verbally that you have a fake but will not commit it to paper.

Just a tip....if the ebay price is a lot lower than a genuine item in the shops it is probably a fake.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Perhaps but it certainly wouldn't be on your say so. You would have to get some sort of authority on the detectors to give paypal a letter or similar I would think.

If it were me ...........I would not buy electronics online. too much can go wrong. Even if they are legit what about returns for warranty etc. It could end up costing you and arm and a leg just returning items.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You will have to prove to paypal that the item is a fake.  You will have to get a statement on company letterhead from a 3rd party who is authorised to authenticate items....the agent or manufacturer or a retailer who sells the genuine item.

And you will have to do it in the space of a few days so not very good if you have to send the item away for authentication.

This is not always easy to do as most businesses can/will tell you verbally that you have a fake but will not commit it to paper.

Just a tip....if the ebay price is a lot lower than a genuine item in the shops it is probably a fake.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

uh hubh, what Harley said aboiut warranties and repairs etc..(even the best brands have the occasional lemon which is not the fault of the seller, and Murphy's Law dictates that it will be the one which is the most inconvenient. Your seller will not be obliged to do anything (as far as eBay and PayPal are concerned) after 45 and 60 days, so if something happens in 3 months, weeelllll, a lot easier to get things resolved with a nearby B&M store... even if your seller is a top bloke (and still in business) any returns for repairs, replacement etc will probably be at your expense.. (I think consumer law says buyer not responsible, but then that costs more money to enforce too - and neither eBay or PayPal help with that, that is all between you and the seller)

as for PayPal, to prove fakes, you will be required to get a letter on letterhead from an authorized person to verify that it is fake. PayPal won't just take your word for it.

EDIT - what Lyn said too - she snuck in

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.

And yes, warranty returns can be a nightmare, particularly postage fees overseas.
I try to buy any electronic item in australia, where possible.

Thanks again for all your comments and advice.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply