Does eBay support shill bidding?

abaca_1
Community Member
Situation: have attempted to buy an item off a seller who repeat lists item ie relists new item each time one is sold.
Listings are private.
I have been 2nd highest bidder 10 out of last 12 listings.
Through a glitch in system using mobile i discovered that i could actually see the scrambled identity of bidders under certain circumstances. I discovered that each time i lost it was to a (0) rated purchaser. Yes this could happen. So i checked the feedback left by seller..they have only once left a feedback giving a (1) rating to a buyer. I also discovered that the bidder that has beaten me each time, placed the winning bid at the same time ie 4 hours prior to items end time.
Any further investigation was hampered/hidden in the fold of "private listing". Armed with this information (plus screen shots of bidding on listings) I informed eBay. I also queried the necessity of private listings since buyer anonimity is protected by the id scrambler they have used for years.
Ebay responded saying private listings were still used for very high priced items (houses Ferrari's etc) or sensitive medical equipment. That is understandable. This item is neither. I proffered my information and was advised that there was not enough to proceed with an investigation.
I think to the contrary.
Private listing should only be available as an option on those categories that require it. Otherwise it doesnt protect the buyer at all. It only allows unscrupulous sellers to hide their shill bidding activities.
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Does eBay support shill bidding?

How am I defensive?

Just because I question how you think shill bidding works does not mean I am defending it in any way.

I have been around the boards long enough to have seen many accusations of shill bidding which are in fact not shilling at all.

Unfortunately mud sticks

And Dave is correct....this is a buying account only so I am quite entitled to have my feedback set to Private.

Message 21 of 24
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The new posts are only here because the thread was resurrected by kkanga43....my answers are directed at the post.  The very limited information that has been posted does not indicate shill bidding....only that 2 bidders are interested in the item.

Message 22 of 24
Latest reply

I posted facts.

I will exit when I am good and ready, not at your behest. Along with my previous comment, you might like to read dates as well. Or at least all the posts subsequent to yours, rather than cherrypicking.

Message 23 of 24
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@abaca_1 wrote:
Well considering my post is over 12 months old...and only now are people commenting...u tell me...and dave...people like u are called trolls....if you cannot make an on topic contribution...and only comment to deride...please exit stage left

As stated the thread got "re-born" with post 18 where the member put forward a scenario that they believe is

shill bidding,(they supplied no proof of actual shill bidding just what they thought was shill bidding and isn't)

All replies after post 18 refer to that post and none of them refer to any of your post on this thread.

Members finished commenting to your post 12 months ago.

This is why old threads should be locked and the poster at post 18 should've started their own thread instead

of hijacking yours.

Message 24 of 24
Latest reply