EBay’s over the top delivery estimation

I’m a seller on eBay and have been complaining to CS because the estimated time they show to buyers are over inflated. What I mean is that if a customer buys something from me now (10pm local on a Tuesday), it is showing that it would arrive by Friday of the same week. Now even AusPost doesn’t give those types of delivery estimate. They give 4-6 working days as rule of thumb.
They problem is when you have an irate buyer because they didn’t get their order within two days, as a seller I have to deal with that. When I try to talk to CS, their excuse is that it’s an “estimate only”, and I have to explain that to the buyer. By this stage, the horse has already bolted, and eBay was the one who left the gate open. Now they are telling me to go get that horse back as it’s my responsibility.
I have a perfect strike rate for getting my orders out same day but eBay is causing the problem by giving buyers the wrong impression.
Got chat records about my complaints and when I ask for a solution their incorrect estimate, they quote algorithm that even CS can’t explain, let alone fix.
Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@wp_extras wrote:
I’m a seller on eBay and have been complaining to CS because the estimated time they show to buyers are over inflated. What I mean is that if a customer buys something from me now (10pm local on a Tuesday), it is showing that it would arrive by Friday of the same week. 

I was going to point out that the estimates eBay show are based on the postcode set for the person viewing the item, but I'm in SA and the first item I looked at says Friday 8th - Tuesday 12th. The problem likely stems from the fact that the buyer's who are complaining, are conveniently forgetting the estimation had a range. This wasn't an item that had the handling time changed, though - it shows as same day dispatch if I purchase within 3 hours - the estimate would change by 2-3 days if it had a 2-day handling time.

The estimates are based on the delivery quotes given by Aus Post, yes, but eBay (say they) modify them based on recorded delivery timeframes. But the thing to remember is eBay doesn't really care about managing buyer's expectations, they care about getting the sale, so they show the optimum information. This means sellers who do want to more adequately manage buyer's expectations (for their own sake as well as their buyers), have a choice to make - be honest about what you do (post same day), or be realistic about what your buyer will get. I prefer the latter, though I know I lose a sale here and there, it's worth it to not have to deal with angry people, but instead have a lot of impressed buyers because their package arrived a little earlier than ebay said. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply

Atleast when you loose a sale due to handling time you never know so no real loss.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

In fairness to eBay, it is Australia Post whom provide the estimates to eBay via a software program.

image host
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Did an experiment - usually, my handling time is dispatch same business day as long as the order is placed before 3pm. Irrespective if the order arrives at 5PM, we still strive to get it out same day. Now I changed to two business days handling time and still the same estimate.
Before you ask, I am using different accounts to test this. Same result.
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Add a few days to your handling time to allow for AP being slow.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Kopenhagen5, the problem is I have already approached AusPost and they are saying it’s an eBay issue. No one wants to take responsibility and the poor customer (luckily understanding after showing them AusPost estimate) have to wear the hurt. I have been trying to be proactive in trying out different things to give it a more realistic estimate but CS just keep telling me to put tracking on the item so eBay won’t penalise me if it doesn’t arrive. Basically, a bit lazy on their behalf considering item cost just under $8 and if you wanted tracking, it would cost about the same amount so no chance of breaking even.
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I take it you use letter post instead of parcel and the ebay system would be allowing parcel post times not letter. I try and add a few days handling time on items posted by letter as it will go over estimated times otherwise.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

I have tried that before and when I physically posted it, I put down that it’s been posted, it reverts to the same fast estimation.
The flip side to it is that if I delayed the notification of dispatch for at least two days, the buyers would complain as to why it is taking so long to ship, which in all honesty, I would too if I’m the buyer. Can’t seem to win unless the buyer is understanding (about 95% are thank goodness).
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Also the funny thing is that when I do select parcel delivery with tracking (not Express Post) the damn thing takes longer to arrive than the so called “letter”. Maybe it’s because they don’t use a dedicated van for normal letter, who knows but that what I am getting so far.
Most recent example is a “letter” I sent to Tasmania that went overnight, which even the buyer was so happy as it went faster than Express Post. 🤣
Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

There are lots of Sellers getting into strife because of their short handling times. Personally I wouldn't have a short handling time, no matter what carrots eBay dangles (carrots generally contain a hidden hook). It is just not worth the hassle.  I really doubt that a short handling time makes any difference to most customers, it certainly doesn't to me when I buy. I have a 10 day handling time and this gives the "estimated delivery time" plenty of scope for the items to arrive in time. I post same or next day and everything arrives ahead of estimated time and the customers are extremely happy. I have noticed of late that the 10 day handling time does not show on my listings, only the estimated arrival time, and that has the ten days included as a buffer. As I do not own a crystal ball, and believe in Murphy's law "whatever can go wrong, will go wrong", and then considering how erratic Australia Posts delivery times can be, and also all the possible things that could go wrong...all sorts of emergency situations that could arrise and prevent me from getting my parcels out in time, then I would not dare to offer what I cannot guarantee to fulfil, and this is what eBay asks you to do when you list a short handling time.  Then Sellers wonder why they have hassles. I am sorry, but I am not very sympathetic, it is, after all, a matter of common sense.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

@wp_extras wrote:
I’m a seller on eBay and have been complaining to CS because the estimated time they show to buyers are over inflated. What I mean is that if a customer buys something from me now (10pm local on a Tuesday), it is showing that it would arrive by Friday of the same week. 

I was going to point out that the estimates eBay show are based on the postcode set for the person viewing the item, but I'm in SA and the first item I looked at says Friday 8th - Tuesday 12th. The problem likely stems from the fact that the buyer's who are complaining, are conveniently forgetting the estimation had a range. This wasn't an item that had the handling time changed, though - it shows as same day dispatch if I purchase within 3 hours - the estimate would change by 2-3 days if it had a 2-day handling time.

The estimates are based on the delivery quotes given by Aus Post, yes, but eBay (say they) modify them based on recorded delivery timeframes. But the thing to remember is eBay doesn't really care about managing buyer's expectations, they care about getting the sale, so they show the optimum information. This means sellers who do want to more adequately manage buyer's expectations (for their own sake as well as their buyers), have a choice to make - be honest about what you do (post same day), or be realistic about what your buyer will get. I prefer the latter, though I know I lose a sale here and there, it's worth it to not have to deal with angry people, but instead have a lot of impressed buyers because their package arrived a little earlier than ebay said. 

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply