EBay wants me to spend $500 to get fault report before refund?

item listed as "used but in good working order" paid $1400

received has fault needs repair cost estimate $247 to get quote for repair then up to $1000 to fix

eBay sent Thursday 19th

Because this case is for an item of higher value, additional documentation is needed before we can move forward. This case has been placed on hold until March 23rd to allow you time to provide this documentation.

Please provide a repair estimate. We need the manufacturer of the item or an authorized repair outlet to provide this documentation. We will use this information to confirm the item is not as described.

Here are more details that must be included in the estimate:
- Overall description of the item
- Specific details why the item is not working properly
- Description of what needs to be repaired or replaced
- Contact information that includes name, address and phone number of the repair outlet
- Estimate of the cost to make the repair

Please *do not* have any repairs done.

If we have not received this information by March 23rd we will not be able to move forward with our investigation and your case will be closed without a refund.

authorized repair outlet Sydney live in Canberra

requested Thursday 19th doc's required Monday 23rd or case closed

postage alone $216, to have it their buy 9am Monday

and servicing done at Philips discretion

emailed eBay that thats impossible but i could get local retailer to at least confirm fault but so far no response

is this becoming normal behavior for eBay?

looks like seller gets a $1400 windfall by default

pitty i wont do the same to some other buyer just not me i guess

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: EBay wants me to spend $500 to get fault report before refund?

eBay has acknowledged the hardship request and allowed me to get documentation

From a local source currently in negotiation with seller for return and refund

Again thank you for your advice

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply

follow up..

$600 partial refund at my request i think $800 is a fair compromise

not shore yet if i'll get it fixed or save up and get a new one when it becomes necessary

it has its limitations but for just sitting at my desk restarting every 20

minutes not to much of a hassle

thanks All

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Well you can be a victim or you can take charge.

RING ebay (don't email) and explain your situation. And don't let them fob you off with honorifics and platitudes which they will do (your call is important to us .. can I assist you with anything else today - barf).

At the very least you can explain to them about the distance to take the item to an authorised repairer and get the deadling adjusted to give you more time.

Then you'll have to work in a trip to Sydney to get a quote for the repair.

You can ask them about returning the item rather than opting to have it evaluated and repaired. This you will have to pay for - tracked and signed for delivery so you can prove to ebay ou have returned it.

Yes it's going to cost you either way. So you can spend a few hundred to get back $1400 or you can write it off. It's a no brainer surely?

And I don't know what the item is but it sounds like something you really shouldn't buy online, if it can be delivered broken, and I guess you know that now. Buy in a store with a receipt, a warranty, some things are not meant to be bought online even though they may be cheaper - as you have found it can be false economy.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Wow. The only thing of that price I can see is the "Philips Respironics EverGo Portable Oxygen Concentrator" . Not something that l'd risk with a courier (or Aust Post for that matter).
Is there a repair place close by with a authorised Philips repair agent? Could a quick phone call to Philips to find out if they have an agent handy to your location? Places like Betta Electrical or Retravision maybe?
But yes, ring eBay and get an extenstion on the silly short time frame they gave you.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

emailed eBay that thats impossible but i could get local retailer to at least confirm fault

I would do exactly that without waiting for a response as then you should at least get them to extend the timeline if nothing else.

Was it new and did you buy from an Australian registered company with an ABN? If so tell them you are going through Fair Trade if they don't either repair the item or refund yur money.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Was the payment funded with a credit card or Visa debit card?

If so, just cut out paypal/ebay and do a chargeback through your bank.

You will have to return it to the seller with tracking and signature on delivery to prove that it was sent, but that is a small price to pay for a complete refund.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

what did the seller have to say about the problem ?

not as described claim through ebay seller pays return postage.

you should not be out of pocket for a faulty item.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

thanks for all your support

bit more going on with seller little things for shore but getting that feeling that without eBays backing

i wouldn't be refunded with out taking it to small claim's.

i suppose my biggest concern is if i do send it to Sydney pay shipping both ways and the $247 to get it looked at

honestly i think id just get it fix making all this mute.

starting to think this is my best option just on my time scale not eBay's

yes their is a authorized reseller in Canberra but not one that can service

asked eBay if they could confirm fault and what they would do. if that was OK!  no response from eBay

fixed its probably worth twice what i paid on the other hand $1400 would have almost covered the deposit on a new

one with weekly payment over 24 months

i understand eBay needs proof.

has to be a better solution than requiring the buyer to throw even more money at it spending $2000 to get back $1400?

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

you have been advised of several less expensve options but you seem to be focused on a very expensive option, your call

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

If you go ahead and get it repaired and there is anything further wrong you will have no redress at all as you have altered the item....it cannot be returned in its original condition.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

eBay has acknowledged the hardship request and allowed me to get documentation

From a local source currently in negotiation with seller for return and refund

Again thank you for your advice

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply