Ebay obviously does not want to help buyers

I bought an item which was not located in Australia as the seller stated but I think in China, shipped from there on order.  The item arrived and it was obviously a counterfeit of a well know brand, it broke in minutes.  Seller said they'd send a new one, I wanted a refund because of the above.  Not happy, I have been trying in vain to make a complaint to eBay regarding this and it is a nightmare, it is as if eBay are actively stopping people from complaining or highlighting, it my case, counterfeit items.  Lots of help articles and suggestions for sellers, nothing for buyers.  Three things I am trying to do: Get a refund; report a counterfeit item and, remove the +ve feedback I gave the seller when I first received the goods before it died, 30 minutes later. No help from eBay at all.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

"No help from eBay at all"???

Is there something preventing you from using the eBay Money Back Guarantee & opening a case for Item Not As Described?

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-pol...

❝When the item received by the buyer doesn't match the listing

Sellers are required to deliver the item as it was described in the listing. If the buyer receives the wrong item, or the item arrives broken, damaged, or faulty (and was not clearly described as such), they are entitled to return it for a refund, even if the seller doesn't offer returns.

Buyers and sellers may agree to another solution, such as a full or partial refund while the buyer keeps the item, or a replacement item instead of a refund.

Both buyers and sellers must meet all applicable return requirements. If an item is being returned, the seller is responsible for return postage.

Actions & time frames for "not as described" returns

Action

Time frame

The buyer requests a return

Start a return request

Latest:

The seller responds to the buyer's request

The seller is required to respond and provide a solution to the buyer's issue.

Latest:

• 3 business days after the request date

In some cases, eBay may automatically accept the return on the seller's behalf.

If the item is being returned

The buyer sends the item back

Latest:

• The latest date to post the return will be shown in an email sent by eBay to the buyer, as well as within the return request

If the buyer does not post the return by the specified date, eBay may close the return request.

The seller issues a refund

If return tracking shows the item was delivered, or if the item was sent through eBay International Shipping, eBay may automatically issue a full refund on the seller's behalf.

Latest:

• 3 business days after receiving the returned item

In some cases, sellers have additional time to issue the refund. You can find the refund deadline in the return details.

Ask eBay to step in

If the seller hasn't responded or hasn't issued a refund by the refund deadline, or if the buyer and seller can't reach a resolution, either party can ask us to step in and help.

eBay may step in without the buyer asking if the seller didn't respond to the return request.

Earliest:

• Once the seller has accepted the return, or 3 business days after the request date

Latest:

• 21 business days after the request date, if the seller never responded
  • 10 business days after the refund deadline has passed, if the seller is issuing a refund

eBay may hold the return request open for up to 35 business days after the date the return was accepted.

Deciding the outcome when the item doesn't match the listing

When a buyer reports that an item doesn't match the listing and the transaction meets our eligibility requirements, we will look for all of the following:

• Evidence that the buyer and seller have each met their return requirements
  • Whether the seller breached eBay policies when listing the item
  • Whether the item can be posted back to the seller
  • Proof of return delivery, if the item was being returned

If we determine that the seller did not meet their return requirements:

• The buyer will receive a refund for the full cost of the item and original postage, and
  • The seller will be required to reimburse eBay for the amount of the refund, and
  • The buyer may not be required to return the item

If we determine that the buyer did not meet their return requirements, the buyer may not receive a full refund for the item and/or postage costs.❞

It’s all there. Timeframes, proof, how and what to do…

Open a refund request on the basis the item is not as described. I suggest not using the reason “item is counterfeit” because proving that requires evidence from the brand bring counterfeited.

Seller must provide return postage label. If they don’t, then when the option becomes available you should ask eBay to step in.

Don’t let the return case lapse. Everything in it is bot-driven to the second. If you let the case close, you can’t reopen it.

If seller doesn’t accept the return request and provide the return label, don’t do nothing. That’s when you must ask eBay to escalate the case by stepping in. All of this must be done within the case itself. The option to afl eBay to step in should appear within 3 business days of your opening the case.

If the seller doesn’t reply, ask eBay to step in.

If the seller offers partial refund or replacement, reject the offer and repeat “I formally reject your offer and stand by my request to be fully refunded. Please provide return postage label.”

If the seller can’t offer a return postage label, repeat “Please provide return postage option at your expense; nonetheless, please refund me in full.”

I repeat, when you see the option in the dispute to ask eBay to step in, do so.

If you do nothing, then after 21 days the case will automatically close without your being refunded. That’s why you just keep an eye on the timeframe and don’t let a reply from the seller remain unanswered. Just calmly repeat your position as shown. Don’t rant and don’t expand your replies. Keep it short and precise as I’ve indicated.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Nothing at all except actually finding that information easily.  It is hidden away under so many layers, I spent two hours looking for it and finished up in a continuous loop of unhelpful twaddle.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

eBay is ALL about the buyer

If you make the choice to buy from a seller registered overseas, that is you choice . There is no 'think' it clearly shows this information prior to purchase 

If you choose to not use the MBG, but instead go along with what a dodgy seller says, again, your choice

eBay give buyer all the help they cold ever need, IF the buyer follows the proper policies and not just do their own thing and expect help anyway

Nothing is 'hidden away' 

If you don't know the basics after being a member 21 years, nobody can help you

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

The seller stated they and the item were in Sydney NSW. I said that in the original post. I am in NSW as well, so there was no 'choice' to buy from over seas.  MBG?  

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

@dwarfer99 wrote:

The item arrived and it was obviously a counterfeit of a well know brand, it broke in minutes. 

.................and remove the +ve feedback I gave the seller when I first received the goods before it died, 30 minutes later.

You were aware it was obviously counterfeit, yet you still left positive feedback ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

No.  It arrived, and appeared OK.  I left the feedback, then it broke. On trying to fix, the bad quality became apparent which led me to believe it is counterfeit. 

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Speaking of ambiguity :

Quote :

The item arrived and it was obviously a counterfeit of a well know brand, it broke in minutes.

This actually reads as -  'the item arrived, it was obviously conterfeit '.

But it seems it only became ' counterfeit ' after it broke in minutes.

But you didn't give it a try before leaving feedback.

Yep - a tad confusing.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

@dwarfer99 wrote:

I do not have the patience or the crayons to get you to understand.

Couple of other things your missing too.

You really don't want to get into crayons.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply