Ebay payment problem regarding to foreign credit cards

Hello everyone! I have a question that I don't think has been asked before, at least 15 minutes of google led to nothing similar. Please excuse my illiteracy if the question seems silly!

I live in Australia, and my relatives overseas are willing to pay for some items I am required for a university project that I couldn't afford right now, due to university study. I do work during the holidays so I can pay them back. However the problem I have encountered was as the following:
1. Filled in correct details, and paypal rejected the payment.
2. I changed the location to the card's country of origin, and it was accepted.
3. Currency was still in Australian dollars.

Basically what I had to do, was to alter the country. However, the shipping address is still a local Australian address, I'm not sure about the country however. I simply typed out the full address -- completed with country, state, suburb, street and postal code. I looked in the webpage and everything actually seemed fine, even the country shows up correctly.

My premature questions are the following:
1. Is this a good method to purchase items? I am very inclined to believe that paypal/ebay blocked my payment for an obvious reason.
2. If the method is bad, are there any way around this? I need some items to fund a university capstone project that I will have to work on next year.
3. I do plan on to acquire a dual currency card in that country, and I would want to use it in Australia. Transfers are obviously a huge no due to the massive fees. $2 is fine, $20 is 3 meals in my book.
4. Silly question, but in which currency will the seller receive the funds in? I'm sure it is Australian dollars, but I want to make sure. I have sold items on ebay of course, but never have I encountered someone else with the same problem listed above.
5. If so, what if I want to buy a gift for someone overseas? Many sellers, me included, enforce this "strictly shipping to paypal linked address" policy. While some sellers are nice and will fill in the receiver's address, I doubt others are. I know I won't be, unless the item isn't worth much. I do believe this question can be found somewhere, sorry if it has been asked before!

Many thanks!
Daniel
Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Ebay payment problem regarding to foreign credit cards

springyzone, although I originally thought that was the item number, it's actually their phone number, and they've also included their email address.

I've reported it to the mods so they can be removed.

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: Ebay payment problem regarding to foreign credit cards

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply