Ebay removes feedback left

Hi all, I left three negs for a seller after we had to drive 180k's to collect three items that were passed on to a courier who doesn't come anywhere near our location. Yes, I do have postage issues of late.....  The seller left it to me to chase the lost items down, so I left three very factual neg feedbacks regarding the failed deliveries, and the fact that I had to do the homework on the locating. I sent the seller a message requesting a part refund of $40 to cover my travel expences to collect the parcels, they ignored me, so I left the negs. Now I see that the good 'ol ebay police have removed all three, without advising me, or requesting that I change anything. Wasn't rude, or any bad words used, just the cold hard facts of what took place. I note on the sellers feedback that any negs were always defended, and the blame put back on the buyer. I guess mine was undefendable, so they asked ''big brother'' to come to the rescue. Is there a way to find the reason for the removals, and reinstate them, as the feedback system is useless unless buyers can warn others of dodgy sellers.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I agree that that is the sort of info that I as a buyer would want to know.

I can only think that maybe there was something in their ad description that said courier delivery or warned of difficult delivery to some areas? Ebay might remove a neg under those circumstances.

All the same, the fact you paid and still had to drive 180kms is not good. The seller should have checked before posting and warned you. At least then you could have requested a cancellation.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

If the listing stated courier delivery then perhaps you should have checked with the seller before buying that their courier delivered to your area especially if you have been having ongoing problems. IMO the only reason you would have grounds to complain is if the seller specified AP as the deliverer and then used a courier.  I would certainly have asked ebay to remove the feedback if I were the seller, most unfair. Why should the seller shell out 40 bucks because you didn't do your homework?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

If the listings did indeed indicate the use of a courier, let's firstly assume that a seller knows the parcel will only go to the depot, and that they checked how far away from your address the depot is.

How can a seller know you're not willing (or at least are relcutant) to travel to the depot to collect the item? How can they know whether or not you're down that way often enough for it not to be an imposition? They are doing as instructed, sending via courier, so should they assume you don't know the implications of that and double check every last thing with you? Or, would it perhaps be simpler and more efficient to take some initiative and ask a couple of Qs to clarify things up front? 

Asking a seller for $40 to cover travel expenses might have seemed reasonable to you, but it's not too different from an international buyer being suprised by customs fees and thinking the seller should foot the bill. 

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Further, sometimes the couriers don't tell sellers the whole truth about their delivery areas.

I lived out of town until recently. No couriers delivered to our area. However, we were in a very large postcode area and couriers were adamant in their advice to sellers that they did deliver to our address. Infact they NEVER did - on the few occassions that I had no choice but to use a courier they would deliver directly to a rural PO 80kms round trip from us without any attempt to deliver to us. The Aust Post mailrun dropped a card in our mailbox to let us know there was a parcel to pick up. Not sure if the local PO did that to help us out as I'm guessing they weren't remunerated by the courier company.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I recieve a lot of parcels as we are renovating, 99%of the time, anything under the Aust Post max of 22kg, is delivered by them, regardless if it left the seller by Aust Post or courier, the couriers simply forward it on to A ust Post, as we are in a rural town with limited services. I dont see why I should do the sellers homework for them on delivery issues, if you start asking questions, you may, or may not even get an answer. If the listing says delivery available, I want delivery to my area, not 180 k's away. I dont think many buyers would be happy going that distance after paying for delivery. Once the item is paid for, the seller then has my address, it should be up to them to check with their carrier if they can deliver, not for me to chase up.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Even if courier delivery was mentioned in the listing isn't it the buyers right to leave a factual negative if they feel it's warranted? Ebay stopped sellers leaving negatives for buyers, if they now remove negatives left by buyers where there are unresolved issues then why bother having feedback at all?

You didn't say to the seller that you wanted a part refund or you'd leave negative feedback did you?
Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

I'm wondering if asking for the discount and leaving negative feedback may have qualified as feedback extortion in ebay's view and therefore met criteria for removal?

If this seller was a Power Seller, ebay says they will 'protect you [ the Seller] where necessary' or something along those lines.

Apparently you can no longer appeal to have feedback reinstated either (a directive from management so I was told a few months ago).

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@audistarelectronics wrote:

I dont see why I should do the sellers homework for them on delivery issues, if you start asking questions, you may, or may not even get an answer. If the listing says delivery available, I want delivery to my area, not 180 k's away. 

Who is talking about doing homework? You already have far more information about your address and potential delivery issues than the seller does, so why not just advise them to check with their courier, instead of sitting back and allowing the seller to make decisions based on far less information than what you have? Even if you genuinely and stubbornly insist it's something you just shouldn't have to do, wouldn't it take far less time than trying to sort out delivery issues after the fact? Where is the logic in refusing to take any action to ensure problem-free delivery? The only "reason" you've provided is "they may not answer", well, until you send an enquiry, you'll never know, and if they don't answer it's a decent indication the seller is not the kind of seller you're looking for.

If I knew my address was problematic, I would consider it 100% my responsibility to mitigate the problems with sellers who advertise they are using a delivery method that causes those problems. 

In response to letscleanup... "Even if courier delivery was mentioned in the listing isn't it the buyers right to leave a factual negative if they feel it's warranted? "

No. Rights are something that can not be taken away from people. But privileges can, particularly if they are abused. Not to mention there is zero cause for complaint if the buyer doesn't get what they "expect", but do get exactly what was advertised.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

No, didn't try and use feedback as any type of blackmail, merely trying be compensated for my expenses.  To Digi, if I am selling something, I make it my concern to make certain that the carrier I intend using will get the item that was paid for and postage paid for, to get to the buyer without the buyer having to worry about it. Or, are the big power sellers able to get away with it and just blame the customer?

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply