Ebay seller takes money doesn't provide warranty item or return monies

My mistake was believing seller and giving him too much time to provide warranty return or to raise with Ebay. Consequently I'm out $600

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

What is your question for other members

There is *no* warranty unless the seller was an authorised seller/re-seller of the item and registered in Australia 

If you choose to wait too long to be covered by the eBay MBG, that was your choice

eBay is all about the buyer and gives buyers all the tools to get their money back

If you decide to go along with whatever the seller said, that was entirely up to you alone

Depending on exactly what the issue is, you may still be covered by PayPal, if that is how you paid

Or if not, depending on the issue, a bank charge back as a last resort

In future, don't play along with dodgy sellers, use the tools you are given before it is too late

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Yes, those were your mistakes.

Ebay does not provide warranties. They aren't selling the goods, you're buying them from individual sellers.

A lot of the time, those sellers are not offering a valid warranty either. Doesn't matter what the ad says.

The money back guarantee ebay offers just means if the goods arrive to you in damaged condition, not as described in the ad or maybe don't arrive at all, then you can raise a claim within 30 days of the estimated delivery date. You would need to opena  dispute and usually ebay then takes the money from the seller's account to reimburse you.

So yes, you're out $600. Be very careful what you buy on ebay and what seller you buy from. On the whole, expensive items that need a warranty are best bought from a shop, not a random seller on ebay.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

So returning a faulty item within 1 week of receiving it from seller and never hearing from him again or seeing my money is ok. Ebay helped by advising to contact seller to sort it out. . . . FANTASTIC, but when the seller dosent respond the issue will never be resolved. So ebay is toothless in resolving an issue when the seller disappears. . . . . 

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

You as the buyer are responsible for opening and following through with an item not as described dispute within the time limit

The seller does not have to respond for you to do that

eBay advise to contact the seller as the first step

If you ignore the MBG policy then you are not covered by it

You the buyer, have all the power, always

If you do not use the tools you are given , don't blame  that  on eBay

As you openly admitted in your opening post, your mistake 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@stuarth843 wrote:

So returning a faulty item within 1 week of receiving it from seller and never hearing from him again or seeing my money is ok. Ebay helped by advising to contact seller to sort it out. . . . FANTASTIC, but when the seller dosent respond the issue will never be resolved. So ebay is toothless in resolving an issue when the seller disappears. . . . . 

Yes, I think ebay is remiss in this. They do ask buyers to contact sellers first but the problem with this is sellers (some sellers) will give you false advice. Tell you they are posting another item, or telling you that you have to post it back yourself at your expense & then they will refund. And if follow their advice and allow too much time to pass, you're up the creek without a paddle.

The only time it is worth contacting a seller (in my opinion) is if the seller is in Australia. If they then send through a postal label for you to return the goods or if they make a full refund on the spot, fine.

But if neither of those 2 things happen, you need to open a claim with ebay. Within 30 days of the estimated delivery date.

If that time has passed, and you bought from paypal, maybe try to make a claim there.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply