Exchange rates

The exchange rate from one US dollar is $1.23 Aus yet when I had to pay postage of US $16.00 it amounted to AU$26.00. Just seems a big difference.
Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Exchange rates

@michellebartley wrote:
The exchange rate from one US dollar is $1.23 Aus yet when I had to pay postage of US $16.00 it amounted to AU$26.00. Just seems a big difference.

Add 4% to the eBay estimate and you'll generally get pretty close to what the actual charge will be, although from memory AUD to US conversions might be 3.5%. This is the extra fee PP build into the cost for facilitaing the conversion.

Edit: removed detailed calculations (unnecessary, and incorrect figures used anyway ๐Ÿ˜„ ). 

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

OP did you check the price of these on that place that starts with A from the same seller?
Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

Why didn't you just buy it here? It's readily available, both online and in shops.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

I dont think it is available here otherwise I would have done that. But thanks anyway.
Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

I just rechecked total cost as I am not paying til tomorrow and it is showing as $24.65 total so not nearly as bad as I thought it was.
Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

Just rechecked it came to AU $30.50 all up.
Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:
Just rechecked it came to AU $30.50 all up.

so you bought two US$8.95 items and it comes to A$30.50 all up! Looks like you got a postage discount. Bit different to the gist of your Opening Post.

I read this on another thread a little while ago "Maybe stop slow down take a deep breath and then continue". Good advice I reckon.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

I bet she wishes it came to A$30.50 slr, but the true total cost for 2 of those rat's nests is in fact A$42.71 at the present exchange rate.

Honestly, I've never before come across anybody who makes something as easy as online shopping look like such a difficult chore.

2014-12-29 06-21-19.png

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

I bought 2 for a friend last year from the local pet shop for $5.99 each. Admittedly they weren't the same brand, but they did the same thing.

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

Total cost turned out to be just over AU$31.00 for my ratties nesties. Actually its a hamster on the box not a naughty old rat.
Message 20 of 20
Latest reply