FAKE-Capacity USB drives flooding ebay listings

Note to eBay:

Please force sellers of USB devices to upload a speed-and-capacity test screenshot of the item(s) they list.

Some manufacturer has produced millions of fakes, and you need to do more to protect victims (both unwary resellers, as well as buyers) of this crime!

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

eBay don't read here, this is a member to member public forum.

Each listing has a report link.

The problem eBay has is that they have no proof an item is a fake on the word of another member.

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

As explained, this is a member to member forum,not ebay staff

People here can do exactly as much as you yourself can do, if you see a fake item listed, use the report button on the listing

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@chrisdrake.com wrote:

Note to eBay:

Please force sellers of USB devices to upload a speed-and-capacity test screenshot of the item(s) they list.

That wont work as scam sellers will just upload false information.

Some manufacturer has produced millions of fakes, and you need to do more to protect victims (both unwary resellers, as well as buyers) of this crime!

I've never come across an unwary seller of these items,(they know full well that they are fakes).

It's buyer beware when buying those and similar items.

Either report them via the listing report link or via Help & Contact:

This gives you their direct links without having to go through their rigmarole:

eg: Call us,Call me,Chat with us and Email us.

http://ocsnext.ebay.com.au/ocs/cusr?query=1485

Just keep in mind that Call us or Call me option are only available

during business hours,(8 am to 9 pm Mon to Fri and 8 am to

5 pm on Sat and Sun).

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It is hardly a new phenomenon....I got caught out with these fake USB drives nearly 12 years ago when I was new to ebay and did not know any better.  It really has not been a problem though....I am aware of the lower capacity and use them accordingly.

Other than the capacity problem, they are good value for money and last well.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Surely you're not saying that USBs with allegedly double the capacity of legitimate ones are fakes?

Shock, horror.

It used to amuse me, when last there was a series of complaints on the boards, that most of the time people were buying USBs with a greater capacity than any manufacturer could produce. Then they complained the USBs didn't have the advertised capacity. Or they were buying high capacity USBs for a fraction of the price of legitimate ones, and were surprised/annoyed/livid when they weren't.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply