Fake Phone

Bought this phone on eBay some months ago from

256GB Android 9.1 Smartphone Dual SIM Unlocked 4G Mobile Smart Phone Ten Core

Never worked very well, yet the info from "Settings" agreed with the description. However, after downloading a couple of apps that read the phone specs, I found thing to be very different.

The phone I was sold was fraudulently altered to misrepresent the specifications. Claimed vs actual specs are as follows:

Claimed: 10 core processor, 256GB rom, 8GB ram, 3500 mah battery, Android 9.1

Actual: 4 core processor, 11GB rom, 1GB ram, 1000 mah battery, Android 6

Having just found this out, I have informed the seller. I will update the forum should things be rectified. The seller remains active on eBay.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Fake Phone

imastawka
Honored Contributor

The seller is registered in China.  They will not care. 

They will stall you until you run out of options.

Open a case for Item Not as Described in Paypal and do not close it until you receive a refund.  They may say they can't refund you until you close the case...this is untrue.

You have 180 days from purchase to do this.

Before opening the case, join Paypal's free return shipping.

Refunded Returns: Free Return Shipping Worldwide for Eligible Online Purchases - PayPal Australia

A moderator will remove the seller's name.  You cannot name and shame on the boards.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Fake Phone

Thank you for that. eBay has a policy on counterfeit products. P40 Pro is a Huawei product. What was being sold was a counterfeit product with fake specifications. That puts the seller in breach of eBay's rules at the very least. I find it difficult to believe the seller has acted honestly or in good faith.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Fake Phone

No they have'nt, but sellers in China can't be 'touched' by eBay

Phones are one of the last things anyone wants to buy from a seller in China, especially with such poor feedback

They are most certainly going to be fake, dangerous with zero warranty 

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Fake Phone

Thanks Sandy. There are laws against selling counterfeit goods. I would be surprised if eBay were allowed to host sellers of counterfeit goods. Further, I just found the serial number of my phone: 0123456789ABCDEF.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Fake Phone

Ebay doesn't sell anything, and the seller is outside Australian law.

Ebay can't possibly check millions of listings every day.

Just open your case for INAD in Paypal, get your money refunded and buy from a licensed

Australian seller who will give you a real warranty.

Preferably from a bricks and mortar shop.

You should have done due diligence when purchasing.    21 negs, most of which say fake/counterfeit should have rung enough bells for you.

Seller's % is 95.2%   It is not recommended to buy anything from a high volume seller below 98.5% IMO

Hopefully you are within the 180 days to claim.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Fake Phone

Checking your feedback it looks like it was purchased over 6 months ago.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Fake Phone

Yes, but does not becoming aware of a fraud within six months make selling a counterfeit product any more lawful or the seller any more honest? eBay may not be the seller, but it is not allowed to host sellers of illegal or counterfeit goods. I am simply taking the opportunity to inform eBay that I was sold a counterfeit product on the site.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Fake Phone

What was eBay's response ?

As mentioned, choosing to buy a phone from China is never going to end well. There will almost always be a big problem 

It will almost always be a knock off 

It will not be up to Australian safety standards 

It might be so dangerous it burns your house down

It has zero warranty

Buyers do not have to buy from these sellers and support them just because eBay 'allow' the listings

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Fake Phone

@soarershopper wrote:

Yes, but does not becoming aware of a fraud within six months make selling a counterfeit product any more lawful or the seller any more honest? eBay may not be the seller, but it is not allowed to host sellers of illegal or counterfeit goods. I am simply taking the opportunity to inform eBay that I was sold a counterfeit product on the site.

As said, Chinese (or any other nationality that's not Australian) sellers are not subject to Australian law. Nor is any offered warranty enforceable.

As stawks said, how do you expect eBay to know. They don't, won't and can't vet every one of the millions of listings uploaded every day. It is up to buyers to do some level of due diligence.

eBay neither read nor respond to board posts, so you are not informing eBay of anything. Just other members who, due to the fact they read the boards, already know.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply