Fake Tracking Number, Seller Scams Me, eBay Sides With Seller!

Here's my story. On April 15th I ordered 2 new 1050w power supplies (total cost $534.16) from a seller on eBay. The order had an estimated delivery date on April 22. I asked the seller to please provide tracking information on the package because I needed to know when the items would arrive. I asked several times and no reply from the seller. Then as the "estimated" delivery date arrives, before I can open a claim with eBay the seller puts a UPS tracking number on my order showing the package was already delivered. I contacted the post office where the package was delivered and they said they have no record of the package, tracking number, or the person who signed for the package. I then called UPS, gave them the tracking number and they confirmed the tracking number had nothing to do with my eBay order. They confirmed the package was sent to my same city and state; however, it was NOT sent to me or my address, it was sent to another individual and the shipping weight did not match the items that I purchased. They said they could not provide me with the name or address of the individual it was sent to due to privacy concerns.

Frustrated I contacted the seller and they would not respond, so I then opened a case with eBay stating I never received the package. Once the case was opened, the only response I would get from the seller was the fake tracking information "UPS 1Z43137xxx" on the case notes. They would repeat this each time I would comment on the case. At this point it is clear I cannot resolve the issue with the seller and I have to wait another 8 days before I can ask eBay to step in and help. Again, the seller waits until the 8 days is almost up has a package shipped to my real name and address on the 7th day after I opened the claim. This time the package arrived in an Amazon box, and did not contain any of the items that I ordered. what I was sent was a cheap 600w power supply that looked used, from the same manufacturer, that is worth about $40.

On the 8th day after opening the case, I asked eBay to step in and help, the seller then provides eBay with this new tracking information, and eBay immediately closes the case saying the package was delivered to my address. At this point it occurs to me that since I have the package they did send, that I will just start a return and at least get my money back that way. However much to my surprise, I now cannot start a return on the order because eBay says I already opened a case and the matter was resolved.

I opened an appeal with eBay, however the response I now get from them is the seller sent the item me and it must of just got lost somewhere or stolen. So now what can I do? I am now waiting another 9 days for a decision on this appeal, but honestly at this point, I don't have a good feeling about the outcome of this appeal either. Funny thing is I am watching the seller’s feedback, on the day I first opened this claim they had several negative and neutral feedbacks on their account. Then a week later almost all of them are gone. I then checked their feedback again today, and like a miracle all of the negative and neutral items are gone the seller has 100% positive feedback!!!

Boy, this seller is slick, I will give them that, and they know how to manipulate the system well. They know each step a buyer will take to dispute a missing item and they use that to their advantage. They can wait for eBay to rule in their favor and then have all the negative feedback removed, one by one. The sad thing is this seller keeps getting away with this scam an nothing is done with them or their seller account.

The bottom line, it appears there is no protection for buyers who get scammed on this site. The fact that eBay allows a seller to ship to a completely different person and / or address that does not match the shipping address on the order is beyond understanding. This is a huge loophole in the system they need to address and fix ASAP. I am hoping to get this matter is resolved, very stressed out about it all, and it seems there is no one who can help me, I just "canned" prepared responses.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I would suggest that you contact eBay using Live Chat, and politely explain the situation. Write it out in bullet point form in the simplest way possible, and go through these points to make sure that you've explained it in an easy-to-digest way.

Ask to have the case re-opened on the basis of SNAD (significantly not as described).

If eBay cannot or will not do this, then open a Not As Described case in PayPal, under PayPal Buyer Protection (you have up to 180 days from the purchase date to open a dispute, and once you've opened the dispute, you must escalate the dispute to a claim NO LATER than 20 days after opening the dispute).

Do not - absolutely do NOT - close the dispute without getting your full refund. The seller could promise a refund, tell you that you need to close the dispute in order to get the refund, and that would be that - you'd be stuck from that moment onwards, because once closed a PayPal dispute can't be re-opened.

Let us know how you go - and if you need further help (for instance, in the unlikely event that PayPal do not action a refund), post here again for additional suggestions.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

You might be better of asking on the  US  Forums

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply